Flying with your Kayak

I travel frequently throughout the country and am interested in traveling with my kayaks (12-17 feet). According to Southwest, this is possible for $75 as long as they are not sea kayaks

(Special Luggage | Southwest Airlines)

Does anyone have any recent experience with this? Assume said kayak is not composite nor worth more than $1500.

Note: I have owned kayaks by Oru, Pakayak, Folbot, Feathercraft and Tucktec. I am familiar with the folding kayak game but am specifically interested in standard yaks. I also am not interesting in renting.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

1 Like

What do you think it means, “Kayaks (other than a sea kayak)” with no size specified? Why would they accept a 17-foot recreational boat and not a comparably sized plastic sea kayak? I’d certainly want to call them and ask.

1 Like

I think the charge will be more than $75:

If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

I have used a trucking company to ship my boats to hotels before. It was a lot more than $75.00, but it was for races.

After the race I had it shipped to their location by my home and held. I picked it up when I got back.