Folding anchor - 2 eyes?

Looking around to determine if I should just tie a small dumbell or use one of the folding anchors. At the local canoe/kayak store today and noticed that the folding anchors have 2 eyes (one on bottom and one on top)… Does anyone know what the bottom eye is for? Neither I nor the local store person could think of a definitive answer. Lots of theories but no answers…

You can do a couple of things with
the two eyes. Using the top eye alone gives you the flukes to bite into a soft bottom. If you use the bottom eye only, the flukes don’t open and the anchor is easier to retrieve in water that may have obstructions like branches, tree trunks, and large rocks. You can also rig a second rope to the bottom eye and use it if the anchor gets stuck to help pull it up.

Most of the experienced kayak fishermen in the bays and gulf here have stopped using the folders, preferring instead a Bruce or claw anchor if they need holding p ower. In freshwater, the rubber coated dumbell works quite well.

What I saw somewhere . . . .
The idea is to tie the rope to the bottom eye, then bring the same rope up and zip-tie it (a small thin one) to the top. If it gets caught like Jerl said above, a good rank should break the zip tie and then you are reversing the pull out of the hazard. I’m not sure I really buy that idea, but that’s what I think I read on one of the packaging or maybe online.

That’s the way
I rigged mine. I’ve used the anchor many times but never had it hang up on anything, so I really don’t know how well it works rigged like that yet.

It also doesn’t hold all that well. No
bite to speak of. They are fine in normal situations, but don’t help much in running tide and wind.

I only use it
in very calm river backwaters while fishing.

For fresh water fishing, so far,
the beast anchor I’ve found is a sash weight. It’s length, I believe, helps with holding in the wind or mild current and it stows nicely. The folders make to much noise for me, but that’s a personal thing.

I broke the zip tie one time
What I learned is that it is hard to break that zip tie, I now use the smallest size, a 4", and replace it each season.

Another suggestion
Don’t pull it really tight. If you leave a little wiggle room in it, the rope can have more of a snapping effect, and break it easier. I’ve never used a folding anchor to know that, but I’ve become a master zip-tie extraordinare and I know the best way to secure one really well is to make it tight. You want the opposite here, and I think my theory about the snapping effect should be valid.

folding anchor
I’ve used the folding anchor & it’s worked good for me. The Broad River here in SC runs as hard if not harder than most & I had no problems. Even on a full moon.

anchor
Another option if I may.

The people I kayak with use clothes pin bags. They can be found at most discount stores.

All that is needed is some nylon rope, (we use the small diameter camo rope from wally world sporting goods.

Tie the rope through the holes in the bag and leave the bag open.

The bag weighs about an ounce.

When we get to the lake, we pick a rock or two from the bank, put them in the sack use as an anchor. When we are through for the day, we dump the rock.

This way you don`t have the added weight of an anchor to lug around.

@ eyes on folding anchor
Bottom eye is for 2nd line to unsnag anchor. Some areas will have stumps snags and other obstruction occuring randomly on the bottom. I was snagged once with a current keeping the anchor tight the second line was ideal to unhook it.