folks in power boats

lol yeah
i think most these guys are drunk or something because there are all kinds of logs floating in the lake i mean like 400 lb logs there is no way the power boats can see em i barely see em when im right on top of em. one of the reasons i love kayaking so much is due to how where we can go almost any where

In our lake it is not Bubbas in bass
boats. It is kids burning gas and hauling ass.The Bubbas tend to be responsible and don’t mind sharing the water.Then again, the traffic isn’t near what it is on Lanier. Come on over to Jocassee.

I got news for you.
the southern bass boat fishermen as a whole are as polite as can be, and when they are going at full throttle on plan, their wake is nil.

It is the rich spoiled brats and their snotty parents who would think nothing of cutting right across in front of you.

Jack L

folks in power boats
used to bother me a lot. when i took a couple of lessons and learned to trust my boat, i began to look for boat wakes to surf on. try a lesson or 2

Agreed

– Last Updated: Apr-30-11 6:01 AM EST –

The closest encounter I ever had with a power boat was young man-boys out in daddy's loud-ass racing boat. I smelled big money.

Oh... and there was the lady sailing a little boat with a kid or two on board. She was oblivious.

yep
It’s the Bajas, Donzis, and punks on PWCs that are the most likely to deliberately harrass somebody down here. Some of the good old boy crackers on the St. Johns can be a bit obnoxious if you catch them in the wrong mood.

on places like Lanier
The people just out running around just about run off all the bubbas when the weather is nice.

That’s the way it is on the St. Johns too. The fisherman have the river until about 9 or 10 AM and then it is like trying to fish on I-4. I saw a group of 18-20’ bowriders running about 30mph four-abreast down the river Sunday mid-morning. Crazy.

Many sides to this issue …
First, speed boats are like ghosts: if you believe in ghosts, then they can scare you. If you believe a speed boat wake can flip you, sure enough it will. But the reality is, short of physically hitting you, your boat can ride the wake just fine. As others have pointed out, get comfortable and confident in your boat.

My favorite way to deal with yahoos like that is to ignore them. Pretend I don’t even see them, stop paddling, pretend to be admiring the view, looking at my watch … take their wake broadside. Then calming resume paddling, like nothing happened.

IMHO, the real yahoos are few and far between. More often it’s just a matter of different boaters trying to co-exist.

I know I’ve drifted into places I shouldn’t be and didn’t realize it, like a channel or passage where power boats have the right of way and little room to maneuver. Places where I’ve caused them a problem through ignorance. Some have been patient; others annoyed.

There are also places where we can go, but it’s also one of the few places some power boats can do what it is they do, like pull skis. I’ve talked to some of these folks, and they think we’re the jerks: we can go anyehere on the lake, but they have a few ski runs to use. Some of the anger or threatening moves they make towards us are designed to scare us off. They see it as protecting their turf … er, water.

The closest I’ve come to getting flipped by boat wake was when a family in a large 35+ foot cruiser made a bee line towards me, then slowed down, sinking the stern, turning, and casting up a huge steep wake … maybe 20 feet from my boat. Turns out dad wanted to show the kiddies a kayak. The guy was all smiles, then very sorry when he realized he had made me uncomfortable.

My rule of thumb is to live and let live, use common sense and common courtesy. Just because we are small human powered boats, we are still boats on the water, and need to understand the rules of the road, what channel markers and buoys mean, and how other boaters use the water around us.

I think Salty should take up paddling
We all had to start some place and yes we were all timid of power boats.

Come on down off your high horse!

Jack L

rollers
I have had many a fun ride in my vagabond after a cabin cruiser threw a huge wake my way. I always be sure to give a paddle wave. People may not see you sitting so low on the water, but they should see the paddle wave. i have called rangers about boater who came too close to me. I used to carry a pen and pad with me on certain lakes. The best thing to do is to stick to back water and bays that the powerboats can not run in.

Options

– Last Updated: Apr-29-11 8:47 PM EST –

Ways to deal with this - are you still in that Pelican you mention in earlier posts, and exactly which one? If it any of the 10 footers these things are pretty wide.

Learn how to take boat wakes in the way that is least hairy for you. For example, boat wakes bouncing off of concrete bulkheads can be harder to manage than the original wake in more open water.

Do not regard every wake as a deliberate attempt to dump you. Most aren't. They are either unaware that the wake is bothering you or fail to notice your existence.

Paddle where other non-motorized craft go. There is a serious club on Lake Lanier, the Lanier Canoe and Kayak club. They focus on racing kayaks and canoes which are hardly the most stable craft in the world, so wherever they paddle is likely to be an area of limited risk.

Seat time in a helpful way - the above club has adult learn to kayak sessions on the following dates, an hour and a half in the evening. Take one so you can get some help on the stability and feel of a kayak thing.
2011 Class dates:

Class 1: May 17, 19, 24, 26
Class 2: June 13, 17, 20, 24
Class 3: July 12, 17, 20, 24
Class 4: August 1, 5, 8, 12
Class 5: September 13, 15, 20, 22

All classes are 6pm-7:30pm

yeah still in pelican
but window shoping for something new but im going to have to wait to the economy gets back on track.cant even afford a class at the momment but im thinking the economy is about to get better soon

Color buoy on the top
Well, some of them used to have color… about a third of the lobster boats we see have a pretty faded buoy. Not sure that one gets repainted annually. Out of sight, out of mind. :slight_smile:

Honestly,
Being a sailor who grew up on Lanier, I knew not to take my yak anywhere that I wasn’t in a no wake zone as I knew it would be a dangerous trip. I have had to unseat PWC riders with paddles while on a Hobie 16 before because of harassment. Being out there in an even smaller craft is not something I would consider.

I have seen a lot of people around Aqualand in long sea kayaks and I think they are nuts. However, as far as I know there has never been anyone in a yak/canoe hit on Lanier. But the south end being the home of Cocktail Cove just make the entire area dangerous in open water.

Actually
Lanier is filled with ocean going cruisers who should never be allowed on inland lakes and cigarette boats driven by 60 year old Don Johnson wannabes from the hifalootin’ part of town. The bubba’s are off in small coves fishing and wishing the idiots would quit buzzing them so they can fish and be left alone.

This video will give you a good idea the kind of morons on Lanier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhru5Jddnl8&feature=player_embedded

lainer
is one of the worst places ive seen. if i didnt know better id guess that drinking while boating was legal here. now there of course are some very mature respectable boaters to .

Moron?
How do you got Moron out of that video? So if someone is having a good time on the water in a way that isn’t YOUR way, that makes them a moron? Its OK, I’m sure there are plenty of narrow minded powerbboaters that also think people in kayaks are morons …

The Truth Now…
Are folks really trying to capsize you or are you really, really nervous in boat wakes?

If you really hate boat wakes I’d advise you not to paddle where they could happen.

If people are motoring very close to you I’d advise you report it to law enforcement.

sure seems it to me
when they turns towards me and get as close as they can i assume there trying to do something bad. a course i could be wrong but i dont see why they must come way over to where i am at

Like the man said
Take up golf.