folks in power boats

Maybe a New Thread Here…

– Last Updated: Apr-30-11 3:56 PM EST –

How close is too close? Wonder how much variation we'd get there? Personally, I get jumpier as the day wears on. In the morning I feel like most boaters are drinking caffeine. As the afternoon wears on the alcohol levels go up.

Are you in their way?
Are you observing the likely path of their travel when you are out there? Granted there may be some bad drivers out there, but motor boaters often are headed someplace predictable like a favorite spot to drop anchor and fish, or a marina or a restaurant or whatever on the water. If you have a very high incidence of their having to turn to you and pass close, it is possible that you are putting yourself in their way.

That’s one reason I suggested that you find out when and where the folks in the Lanier Kayak and Canoe Club paddle, and do that. You don’t have to be on the water for this - it sounds like you could just go down by their place now that the water is warmer and ask.

i do all i can do to avoid them
hect sometimes go way way out of my way to avoid them.i have noticed this town isnt friendly towards us not in motorized vehicles . i gave up biking here

been to the kayak club
but by the time i got there i was way to tired to row and still had to row home.im so out of shape i thought i was going to pass out

You can’t drive there?
I was thinking of driving a car there to talk to these folks, or calling them on the phone. They have activities posted on their web site, so finding a time when they are there shouldn’t be too hard.

I gotta ask - how old are you? It’d be helpful to know if people are talking to a minor.

nah im not a minor
i just dont drive

Good point
Personal observation, I don’t think most of us are all that good at judging distance. I’ll include myself in that. Things that seem big, or scare us, or both, probably seem to get closer than they really do.

Thinking of my statement above, and a large cruiser making a sharp turn 20 feet from me … thinking more objectively, I’m sure it was at least a boat length … maybe more like 40 feet or so. But a boat that size looks even bigger when your butt is sitting at or a few inches below the water line. And I was not too confident in my skills or boat at that time, and was in a place that added to my nervousness, beyond my comfort zone. The wake looked like footers … realistically they were more like 3 footers. Today they wouldn’t be an issue.

Speed Boaters
I primarily spend my time on a wide river so during the summer months I feel your pain. We get people who think a river is a road course and you should go as fast as you can even though there are many blind turns.

Most of the time I stick fairly close to shore and if I hear anything coming around turns I stop and wait or get closer to shore. I figure if I know THEY’RE coming at least one of us is prepared.

I like the idea of running them aground though. I’d go with that one!

we have a lot of people who drown
on this lake last year i belive it was some one got ran over by a boat where i launch from

Have to drive to get to those remote
spots of beauty! I know the hassles of living in the automotive world…but to “get away” from society’s concrete…you have to find means of transportation.

$.01

thinking a buying a mazda truck
i can get a good deal on it but man gas is so high now

Loose Hips Save Ships
Personally, I’ve yet to see a rec kayak get tipped over by a wave on inland water. I won’t say it can’t happen, but surely the odds are against it. In the meantime, practice makes perfect, and in time you’ll be comfortable letting the boat move underneath you (as others have said, keep your hips loose). “Fighting” the boat when it tips to match the tilt of the water’s surface will do more harm than good. That said, a more “seaworthy” boat actually tips much more easily on calm water than the boat you have, and therefore does not “try as hard” to match the tilt of the water as waves go by, which lets the boat remain closer to upright in choppy conditions and when riding boat wakes. Someday you may be happier in such a boat.

Waves don’t look at big to me as they did many years ago, whether they are wind-driven waves or boat wakes. I think that happens with most people once they’ve been paddling a while.

lol
the people who sold me this kayak sold it because they said it was unstable . i am more woorried if they get to close to me they may hit me.they realy need to monitor the boaters on this lake for being drunk

I do paddle asshole

– Last Updated: Apr-30-11 10:20 PM EST –

Thousands of expedition miles and a whole bunch of surf. You cannot even perform a basic paddling skill but you call yourself a waterman??????????
Anytime JackL. I'll play. Do your homework loser. May hate me (I hope so) but don't make the mistake of assuming I can't paddle.......

How many wanna be kayakers know

– Last Updated: Apr-30-11 10:18 PM EST –

the Colregs??? How many here could pass a basic boating safety course???? Few, but no shortage of attitude. And when all is said and done most are shitty paddlers to boot...

Most Professional Mariners
who have to deal with idiot kayakers daily think they are morons and guess what…many are! Probably the most ignorant people on the water where I operate. Sorry, but that’s reality.

Nothing … is the practical answer, IMO
If you paddle in power boat infested waters there will always be lot of speeding boats, lots of wakes, and lots of drunken drivers. Nothing can be done about it except to be careful, learn to paddle with it, and even learn to enjoy it.

Or go paddle somewhere else.

Or take up Nine Men’s Morris.

i will be a stronger paddler
tonight i just stayed in the shallows was a crazy night for beavers or something not sure what they was but they swim above water then spash and dive when i get to close id love to find what they was but my night vision sucks

o just so ya know
the boats im talking about are when im day kayaking at night i stay far away from the places i go to in day

LOL
Helicopter 10 foot off the water (there are elevation restrictions ya know) on the most crowded lake in the Southeastern US chasing a cigarette boat, wide open. The driver of the boat is watching the helicopter and the passengers and not where he is going. The pilot is watching the boat and filming and not where he is going. Yeah, it’s just me not wanting others to have fun.

Another example of this brilliance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfluylv3YAs&feature=related

I can only guess you know jack and s### about FAA restrictions and safety regulations and the number of accidents each year by morons like this and just felt the need to run your mouth.