Follow up on Sandals

Been wearing Teva for years. Only complaint was with one model (cannot remember which) the outside ankle connection was a hard plastic boss that wore a hole in my foot. This was fixed by shaving the edge down and smoothing off.

Several friends have gone to Keen’s and I like the toe-guard but have reservation on the ability to rid oneself of foreign objects.

Looked at a pair of chacos over the weekend and DAMN they were heavy. Anyone else notice this? I like the design and the good arch but holy smoke these were heavier than my winter hunting boots.

Topher; as resident gear junkie you voted for chacos, do any lengthy hikes/portages/miles with them?

Wes

I’ve broken ranks
and given up on the Chacos after a week of trying them.

Bulkier than I prefer and I just don’t care for the footbed.

I’m an old Teva man also and I queried the company regarding the infamous plastic trianglular connector. I received a prompt response and a very honest one at that.

The tech advised me there was a run of sandals with connectors of an improper composition (which we all knew!). He said they warranted those that were returned even if out of the warranty period. The number of returned sandals were in the thousands according to this source and they are still receiving a few here and there.

I like the Tevas, especially the Universal Buckle model - great all-around sandal without the Velcro issues.

And… I really like having half sizes available.

Holmes

Heavy Chacos?

– Last Updated: May-22-06 9:54 PM EST –

You more than likely tried on the older 'Terreno' sole model, with the heavy lug Vibram sole. Ya... That one was a pig weight wise, but darn nice. The new '06 models are considerably lighter, Chaco claims 20% lighter. I think they are lighter than that figure, having replaced the older 'Terreno' lug with the new sole design (new in '06). If you are going anywhere wet or rugged, do get the Z-2 (with toe loop) over the Z-1, much better control swimming, climbing, on hills or in muck. We were climbing right out of the water last summer on some waters edge cliffs and the little buggers stuck like snot (the older shallow lugged 'Colarado' sole Z-2), something the Teva 'Spider' soles were flailing on. Chaco also makes a sticky rubber sole called 'Stealth' that should stick to wet rock better. Go back and tell 'em ya want to try the NEW ones. Trust me... the footbeds on Chacos are a far cry better than anything Teva makes, and Keens seem to be made for a wide foot (Chacos also come in wide if you need), I 'swim' in them fit wise, though they are also nice. I still think the Chacos make a better over all footbed than either of the other brands, and the ONLY time I ever felt the need for the covered toe (Keen) was hiking miles up slot canyons through H2o out west. My feet were so cold I couldn't hardly tell I was bruising my toes kicking rocks. I sell Chacos and Keens now, and Chacos outsell Keens by at least 20 to 1 at my shop, and since getting Chacos in, we couldn't give away Tevas, and we no longer sell them and very few customers still ask for them. Just my 2 cents.

update on Reebok sandals
Well, while we’re updating our opinions on sandals, I’d have to say that this past weekend, my favored Reebok “teva style”, thin-soled sandals really let me down. On a muddy, slick bank, they fill up with mud and become “slicks”. That’s NOT what you want when carrying a canoe down a steep bank to the water. The Keen H2O’s would’ve handled that situation better, but they become pea gravel traps, and I’m not sure that having trapped gravel under one’s arch is any better.

Miles and Miles

– Last Updated: May-22-06 11:48 PM EST –

When I lived in Savannah I wore Chacos daily for 3 out of 4 seasons. Very comfortable walking shoes. I find that the arch and footbed are very supportive. As well the slight upturn on the toe lessens trips and falls.

You need to be just a bit carful about side angled steps as they offer little support side to side, but they do grip rocks well.

If toe stubbing rocks are not an issue I much prefer Chacos above Keens or Tevas.

Coupla notes…
Topher,

Agreed with the side-to-side stability re: Chacos. After regular use, one seems to grow accustomed to this and the foot plant is adjsuted for accordingly.

I think one of the toe stub problems for some folks is from wearing sandals that may be a bit too small. The compact trim fitment may look fashionable but I find a bit of extra ‘bumper’ out front goes a long way in protecting my piggies!

Stickman,

I have the '06 Z2s with the Stealth outsole and they do outperform the Teva Spyder sole on wet rocks. I thrashed both the Tevas and the Chacos this weekend pretty hard and the difference on red rimrock lake lines was noticeable. I daresay the Stealth will be a big hit with the Chaco fans.

I’m a sandal nut and always trying what’s new. Love the Keens but pebble retainment is a real problem. I’m hoping that a good break-in with the Z2s changes my mind about the sandals.

Still love the high end Tevas.

Holmes

keens!
i love my keens for hiking…they are built on a trail shoe last so they will do quite well…yes if you get a stone it sucks…but for a person like me who trips alot-that toe rand is wonderful…

the only other problem with keens is: they might not fit in your boat…because that toe rand is so bulbous you just might not fit…

Berkenstocks
you guys haven’t worn sandals until you’ve tried the “water birks”

http://birkenstocks.sandals4less.com/birkenstock_contact/

there’s nothing more ‘comfy’ than these slip ons, they fit like regular birks, they’re waterproof, they’re wonderful.

oh, did i say i like 'em?

Caution on Keenes
I bought a pair mail order from REI, and discovered that my foot shape did not fit the Keene “bearfoot” shape. My pinkie kept slipping out the side. gave 'em away.

Tevas still get my vote for comfort and fit.

Jim

Serious business
I didn’t realize sandals were such serious business…

I can offer one piece of advice. When you find the pair that you like, buy a spare pair or two and stash them somewhere. That way, when the original pair wears out and you find that the manufacturer has discontinued that model, you’ll have another pair ready to go.

Craig

(one remaining pair of new old Nike sandals stashed in the closet)

Old Teva advocate
and still have two pairs, one probably 10 years old. But they get used a lot less. Just remember that short portage in the BW where I ripped half my toenail off the big toe. Been in Keen Newports for 1.5 years now and I’ll say damn near as comfortable as Teva, toe protection, and I haven’t had any more problems with stones than I would with Teva’s.

If you are worried about stones though, I got Deb a pair of Keen H2s (I think). They are webbing and have mesh between to limit foreign object entry. She walked for 2 weeks in Egypt wearing them exclusively and she can’t say enough positive things about them.

Randy

Chota Quicklace adds stability
Sandals seems to get sand, mud, and rocks in them and make walking more difficult. Even sitting paddling with a rock in ones sandal can be far from pleasant.

For safety in cold conditions sake, last winter I bought myself a pair of Chota Quick Lace boots and I have not regretted it yet.

My feet stay warm, dry, and mostly comfortable. The right foot has a seam which irritates me some whereas the same seam on the left foot does not.

I’ve only paddled twice so far this spring but the added stability the boots have provided to me getting in and out of my kayak has been much appreciated. My left knee is missing some parts - but all of the parts remaining are mine. So it is weak and not apt to get much stronger. Walking on rocks down to the water is easier, walking on rocks in the water is easier, and no way are my feet getting too cold.

They may become too warm for summer paddling?

Hey Pyker!
I vividly recall your connection with toe and rock on that trip. I also recall you never dropped the boat and had just a trace of a limp!

Still not convinced on the more closed in Keen’s. I like the toe loop design on the new Teva Guide model (same as the Chaco H2) the Chaco is reported as 25% lighter which is still heavier than the Teva.

On a different subject, solo portage yokes, look for email!

Side Angled Steps?
Not quite sure what you are talking about when you refer to Chacos offering litte support on ‘side angle steps’. I’m able to climb in them which for the most part is all about edging the side of the sandal, and my foot is totaly locked in. Hiking in Utahs Canyonlands which has quite a few off camber trails and rock had little affect on my foots placement in the shoe or on the rock. Are you sure your sandals are adjusted right? Even my favorite hang-out at our local lake has a long sloping rock approach to our ‘spot’ you have to treverse, and even wet from waves or splash I have absulutely no problem sticking every foothold and have no sense of a ‘side angle’ slip. Maybe you have a narrow foot or you may have inadvertly bought a pair of wides, or you simply have yours adjusted too loosely? Just curious.