Fontana Lake

I am looking to doing a trip on Fontana Lake in late July. I’d like to do a three or four day trip, one of those days being a day of hiking in the smokies. Any suggested routes or campsites?

Thanks,

Dave

fontana
beautiful lake. my suggestion would be to put in at the tsali recreation area and paddle down lake to camsite 78 located on an island (or peninsula depending on water level). next travel to hazel creek campsite 86. lots of hiking and history from this campsite–old town of proctor, old cemetaries, even an abandoned copper mine, plus lots of stupendous scenery and some of the best trout fishing in the smokies. i would suggest spending 2 nights here. now depending on your time either leisurely retrace your route back to your car camping again at 78 (or anywhere you can find level land on the national forest side of the lake), or do it in one long day, or arrange to shuttle your vehicle to the cable cove boat ramp and make an easy out from hazel creek. for a shuttle, i’ve used THE HIKE INN located on hwy 28 near fontana. 828-479-3677. trip gives either 3 or 4 nights on the lake. have a good trip. -harry

I did the trip
I did the trip you suggested. As advertised the lake was beautiful. I was a little surprised by the amount of motorized boat traffic, but in the early morning and late evening I had the lake to myself and it was beautiful. I stayed at campsite 73 on the way back to the Recreation area. It was a nice site. I loved to go back in the fall when the colors change.

Thanks,

Dave

fontana trip
glad you had a good trip. in the summer the motorized traffic can be significant but it is a pretty big lake. fall and spring will have less traffic. hope you’re able to get back in the fall. the color spectacle is worth seeing from the water, especially on a still morning with the reflection of the trees on the water. take care. -harry