Food

potatos
baked in the microwave, then refrigerated make great travel food, eat em cold or heat em in camp. i also like kippers and crackers, ramen noodles with sauteed onions and celery along with some of the stuff already mentioned

Thanks you Guys
All great ideas! MRE’s are ok but they all have that odd flavor? But you guys have some neet ideas, I liked some of the storage ideas too. I’m a litte woried about Scottb thoe, Pickeled Herring, Twinkies, and Hormel chili, at one sitting? OK Scott, live life to the fullest!! Your my kind of people!

Ride the wave!

see ya, George

love camp cooking
Cooking’s a big part of it for me. Here’s something I learned a couple years back. Before leaving home, break a few eggs and dump their contents into a jar. On the trail, you can pour the eggs out, and they’ll leave the jar one at a time. No worries about cracked egg shells, and they can be fried, scrambled, whatever.

If you have the time/room, get a dutch oven and learn to use it. It’s a blast. Think of cinnamon rolls in the a.m. (you can use the tubed rolls), breads, cakes, stews, anything you can cook at home.

Here’s an easy one. Freeze a good load of leftover stew or chile – your choice. Day 2, once it’s pretty well to halfway thawed, dump it in the dutch, cover and heat. If it’s stew, toss canned biscuits on top of the bubbling stuff, add the dutch lid, heap coals on the top, and wait until the tops are browned. Chile: mix up some cornbread mix on the stiff side, and add dollops to the top. Repeat the hot coals to the lid exercise.

Here’s a dessert: fry apple wedges in butter. Toss in some brown sugar and stir it around until everything’s coated and bubbling. Mix a batch of yellow cake mix and pour over the apple goo. Add lid. Add coals and let it go for a while.

There’re lots of dutch sites on the web. Start at www.idos.com and have fun.

Eggs in Jar! Wow!
How long will they last before they go bad, sounds cooler and more compact than an egg carrier and less trouble than rubbing them with candles.