foot braces

Has anybody ever put foot braces in a solo canoe?

Would they properly fit? I recently picked up a solo canoe. I like it for its size and weight but when I sit in it the seat does not have very good raking to it.I feel out of balance I guess maybe I could lower the back a couple inches Any suggestions thanks

Simple
materials from Lowes.

-Two pieces of aluminum angle a few inches long or longer if you want the brace adjustable.

Rivet them on the sides (one on each side) at the height you want the brace.

• then a piece of aluminum tubing across at the distance where you want it and bolted (with a wing nut if you want it adjustable) to the angles.

If you want it adjustable; drill a few holes a inch apart in the angles and then use two different diameters of tubing, sliding the smaller into the larger. this allows for the difference in width as you change the position.

Lots of times you can save bucks by scrounging around for the tubing and angles- think old lawn furniture and old tent poles, etc.

Cheers,

JackL

that is probably not the best way
here is a recent discussion

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1223067

Works fine for me
In crosslinked poly, kevlar and roylex, and several of each.

And believe me those braces have had a lot of pressure over the years with no ill affects.

I didn’t read all those post you refeered to, but I figured I might as well pass a long a easy, inexpensive system that works good if the Op wants to use it.

I used to use a tad bit of silicon with my rivits, but found that it was just a waste of time since they are not under any water line and don’t leak anyway

Cheers,

JackL

I use Wenonah Sliding Foot Braces.
The main challenge is deciding where to mount the rails (height & front to back and then getting the rails on both sides parallel.

I’ve added them to a Curtis Lady Bug, royalex Bell Wildfire/Yellowstone Solo and Phoenix Vagabond.

Planning to add one to a Bell Flashfire and possibly Blackhawk Zephyr.

They definitely improve paddling comfort & control from the sitting position.

Commercial versions

– Last Updated: Feb-28-10 11:48 AM EST –

http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=186&SID=427c642446e94133085e56d358b7d392

http://www.bellcanoe.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=24

Some folk also add a backband, especially if they're using a double-bladed paddle.

Adjusting seat height and angle is very common.

A question for you:

– Last Updated: Feb-28-10 12:20 PM EST –

Installing a footbrace is easy, but before addressing that, I didn't understand two sentences in your post:

"I like it for its size and weight but when I sit in it the seat does not have very good raking to it.I feel out of balance I guess maybe I could lower the back a couple inches."

What is "raking" in this case? To me, your choice of words makes it sound like the seat is higher in the back, causing your butt to slide forward when you paddle. If that's the case, that means the seat is set up for kneeling. You might want to try kneeling before you change the seat position. For some people, kneeling is "the only way to go", both in terms of comfort and boat control.

On the other hand, I used to have a solo that was set up for kneeling AND sitting. By using a footbrace, that forward-sloped seat will "lock" you into place so well you won't believe it while you are sitting, and you will still have the option of kneeling when you want maximum control.