foot pump install - saving the bulkhead

Hi again.

I’m looking to install a foot pump in my Greenlander. I’d like to avoid tampering with/moving the existing bulkhead. Here are my questions:

Should I take this to a shop for the complete install or just have the holes drilled and install the pump myself?

Is it possible to build up a base on the existing bulkhead on which to install the foot pump, between the foot braces perhaps?

pump
Hi again.

“I’m looking to install a foot pump in my Greenlander. I’d like to avoid tampering with/moving the existing bulkhead. Here are my questions:

Should I take this to a shop for the complete install or just have the holes drilled and install the pump myself?

Is it possible to build up a base on the existing bulkhead on which to install the foot pump, between the foot braces perhaps?”

How far forward is your bulkhead from your footrests? There’s folks alot more experienced here than I but my personal experience is that you want the footboard for the pump fairly close to the same plane that your foot pegs are in (or foamed out bulkhead). This is how mine is set up:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2941020650068902019jMdwBS

The bulkhead is back from foot rest location about 4-5"–basically the depth of the pump.

As far as building up a base I don’t know. That could get problamatic real quick in terms of the weight, strenght and bulk depending on how many inches long it needs to be. Whatever you do needs to be fairly robust as the system has a fair amount of force put on it over time (bulkhead, ‘base’). Alternatively, I had used a a 1 1/2" thick piece of wood at one time on my pump so that I could get my foot to the pump–that gave about a 1" extension on the foot board and made it easier to reach the pump. Finally got fed up with the jury riggin’ and made and installed a new bulkhead myself that was properly located:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2467691520068902019dNBpnX

Check out the surrounding photos for more info. You can see that I left a chunk of the old bulkhead in place and makeing a new rounded edge bulkhead really isn’t that difficult. A flat one would be easier to do, but is more likely to cause stress cracks. If it was me, after the experience I had, I would take it and have it done professionally (including new bulkead install in proper location–then you can get rid of those ‘pesky’ foot pegs :slight_smile: and foam out your new bulkhead and have a more comfortable footrest–jmho). If you have fg experience (doesn’t take much), do it all yourself. The actual pump install is very simple–just use the pump mounting holes as a template to mark the bulkhead and use a new, sharp hole saw for the deck hole for the outlet pump. I tried to minimize hose lengths to reduce friction loss and increase efficiency as much as possible with the pump.

thanks jmden
I tend to agree with you regarding the bulkhead relocation, but I share this boat with a friend who has longer legs than mine, so the peg adjustment is important (and I don’t mind them). But your photos are great, I may try taking more of this on myself than I had intended. Thank you.