Foot Rest broken: How to replace it?

-- Last Updated: Jul-04-07 8:46 AM EST --

Hi friends, need a little bit of your help again.

I finally got my beautiful Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 in Red! (PLASTIC)... unfortunately when I was practicing on the heavy waves of my basement carpet :), I think I pushed too hard on my Left Foot Rest and I broke it. My dealer said that was unusual and never happens. (SEE PICS BELOW)

http://web6.streamhoster.com/youlookmarvelous/LeftFootrestBroken3.jpg

My dealer, very far from my place, will send me the part at no charge, no problem there. They said that replacing it should be a piece of cake... I can't even see what could be so complicated about unscrewing two screws, pulling off the broken assembly, replacing the new one and screw it back with some silicone glue around the screws, then, tight them just enough, but not so much as to destroy the holes (threads)... Sort of like changing a light ball!..

OR MAYBE IS REALLY NOT THAT EASY?... Is anything I should know before doing this?

I also called my local kayak shop and he said "bring it in," probably $40 in labor if not more!... I know the guy... not shy about charging for breathing

Yes, it’s that easy
unless the screws are hard to move. You should not run into that problem - I think these are plastic peg assemblies, yes? With Yakima aluminum ones (the best), they can develop some corrosion, and the screws can be hard to remove. I’ve used a Phillips head on a socket wrench to take care of that.

Have fun - I think you’ll find fixing your own boat rewarding…

Alan

don’t overthink it!
it’s THAT EZ. 2 screws out, 2 in.

G2G

steve

Thanks for posting pics! I am just
installing the same footbraces in my Necky, and because I do not plan to move the footbraces often, I may devise a secondary way to transfer size 15 foot force to the primary rails and to the screw mount to the hull.

These WS rails and footrest resemble those on a Sealine rudder control kit I bought, but never installed, when I heard that another plastic zone on the Sealine was breaking. Is there a designer out there somewhere who didn’t know how to judge the margins needed for foot pressure?

Yes, it was EASY!

– Last Updated: Jul-04-07 2:01 PM EST –

Thank you guys for the little push... that is all I needed. I am the careful type :)

Yes, I removed the screws and the whole thing was incredibly simple. Credit to the Manufacturer!

Some important points for the benefit of newbies like me:

1-No glue at all involved. I was surprised. Just a simple little washer prevents water leaking.

2-The holes in the boat are "clean." No theads whatsover.

3-The screw slides throught the hole and is held by the Foot-rest assembly, which acts as the NUT for the screw.

it is the first time I try this website to show pictures and they are not in the order I wanted them. But you can see them and if you follow the numbers, you can see them in some sequence.

Hope this helps somebody, as everyone helps me when I need it :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/em-lr/

Yakima’s rule!
if you don’t need rudder control, these aluminum foot peg sets are bombproof - $35 or so.

Alan

Injection molders
sometimes change materials on a manufacturer to save cost…with resulting lousy parts. NOT saying that’s the case here. But it does happen.

I have two sets doing nothing, and I
find that Yakimas, while strong, are ergonomic monstrosities. Maybe some of you guys could buy the ones I have.

What’s the problem?
Used Yakimas for years W/0 failure. What is so monstrous about them? Just curious. Plastic braces fail far more often. In fact, I’ve never heard of a Yakima failing. Seem pretty easy to me to use…

Hmmm… changing Foot Rests too? :slight_smile:
installing the same footbraces in my Necky, and because I do not plan to move the footbraces often, I may devise a secondary way to transfer size 15 foot force to the primary rails and to the screw mount to the hull.

Hmmm… now you got me here. Remember I’am a newbie! I gather once you know what you’re doing, you can modify/customize any piece of equipment. correct.

Question: Why not use the original foor-rest from Necky? don’t make them anymore? And, if installing the WS ones, do you have to drill new holes? or All kayads (most anyway) have the same dimmensions?

These WS rails and footrest resemble those on a Sealine rudder control kit I bought, but never installed, when I heard that another plastic zone on the Sealine was breaking. Is there a designer out there somewhere who didn’t know how to judge the margins needed for foot pressure?

Hmmm… what exactly is a RAIL? Is it the part where foot-rest slides in or out? the part that actully is screwed to the boat?

“margins needed for foot pressure?” What do you mean by this, exactly?.. how much pressure can the person apply to the brake/foot-rest, w/o braking it? :slight_smile:

TIA

Rique

===============================

A Picture of it?
Can you show or link to a picture of the yakima?

Rique