Footbrace mounting

I am contemplating mounting a set of adjustable footbraces in my Bell Magic.

I know that PBW simply glues them in with Plexus, but I am a big guy and would like to have a heftier mounting system - SS studs with glue-in plates. Duckworks has a nice tutorial on their webpage for installing the Sea Dog footbraces. For initial positioning they suggest thickened epoxy. But how to thicken?

Quartz microspheres?

Silica thickener?

Phenolic microballoons?

Or I might just use a dollop of PC-7.

Jim

Why not PC-7 straight?
Aside from its color, I like PC-7’s shear strength. I think it’s got microfibers, although I haven’t looked at it under a microscope and, of course, mfr. won’t divulge.

While I love PC-7
I would not trust it for anything more than the initial positioning of the studs.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/misc/sd900110/index.htm

Layers of glass cloth need th be applied to gain adhesive bonding area and to distribute the pressure over a larger area. My Magic is a Black Gold layup, and the flexy hull needs localized reinforcement for the studs.

Jim

okay with Plexus
I’ve been pleased, for the last year and a half, with my RapidFire’s footbraces, which are Plexused in. I am 6’0", 215 pounds, and I like to paddle hard. I also use the braces to push myself back up onto the seat after I slide down.

– Mark

PC-11
PC-11 is the marine version of PC-7. It is an even more obnoxious white color (actually slightly blue-ish white), and it works great !

I used it to bobd the footbrace into my Bell Northwoods, and it is very solid.

Clean the area well and be careful to wipe out excess while you can. I used duct tape to hold things in place while it set up, but I really don’t think it was even needed.