Footpump in a polyethylene kayak

Using the traditional hand pump in windy conditions and waves can be a challenge.

Many dealers have footpump as extra options

in composite kayaks.

I have a polyethylene kayak (Valley Aquanaut HV PE) but i am wondering hot to mount a foot pump.

Is the bulkhead strong enough?

How can i reinforce the bulkhead to handle

the impact of using the feet to pump?

Is there anyone who have tried this?

(Electric pumps are not an issue)

I understand that Guzzler and Henderson

are popular choices for this!

I installed a footpump
in a my plastic kayak by taking a piece of 1/8" thick x 5" wide steel flat stock and bent it into a C shape and used two screws through the deck and two through the hull to fasten it to the kayak. Then mounted the pump to the flat stock. It is very secure and works great.

The plastic welded bulkheads
of the Valley RM boats are probably as tough or tougher than fiberglass bulkheads. I wouldn’t worry about mounting a pump.

~wetzool

I thought about a foot pump.

– Last Updated: Apr-24-07 9:06 AM EST –

I even investigated on-line resources. But with the drilling into the boat to mount, the discharge outlet needing to be drilled through the deck/hull, and (most importantly) the recommendation from many experienced sea kayakers about still carrying a back up hand bilge pump (in case the foot pump fails, or if someone else in the paddling party needs a pump), I decided to stick with the hand pump exclusively (if hand pump fails, I use another persons in my paddling party).

Just a thought from a guy who was thinking like you, for a while. :-) If you do mount one, please post your results. Thanks.

Another Idea
I had a void between my foot pegs and my fore bulkhead. I glued together minicell blocks to fit the depth of the void then carved the result to fit into the hull. Then I took a piece of 1/8" ABS plastic and cut a hole for the pump actuator and mounting bolts. I mounted the pump to the plastic. Then I carved out a cavity in the minicell block including an inset for the ABS plastic square. Then I pushed the block into the boat and made sure it was resting on the bulkhead. Now the actuator is positioned just behind the peddals and in between them. The pressure applied on the actuator is transfered to the block and the block is wedged into and against the hull so very little if any force is applied to the bulkhead.

Mistakes to avoid.

Make your pump output line as short as possible and do not put any ninty degree fittings in. I made the mistake of putting a ninety and the pump and a second ninety at the thru hull fitting and that caused the gpm to halve.

Test your boat loaded as normally paddled to find the low point for your pick up. I assumed my low point was behind the seat but in fact it is just in front of the seat.

Happy Paddling,

Mark