For the discerning & very young paddler

Your daddy is rich, and your momma’s good looking…
You’re a very young, and a very discerning, " wanna be" paddler. You dream of $3,700.00 kayaks, $1000.00 paddles, and a BMW shuttle vehicle. Only the best is good enough for you honey…
No common, run of the mill baby bed is good enough.

Here ya go!
The $1,500.00 bassinet. A one of a kind, rustic, and naturalistic bassinet for the golden haired child who has everything.
You’re rich daddy can even pay for it in crypto currency.

Will look spectacular in your bedroom; inside the million dollar, custom designed, custom built, 7 bedroom, 10 bath, log home momma and daddy live in outside of Denver; when they’re not living in their New York Penthouse apartment, or their Swiss chalet.

You “got it made” kid!

!

1 Like

Very cool! Did you make that?

I do some restoration of old Royalex canoes; enjoy that. Building something like that “thing” pictured in my first post is way out of my skill level/comfort zone. Don’t think I’d even enjoy trying.

Saw it advertised on craiglist; then posted what I hope is a jesting/tangential retort of sorts. The “basinett” is kind of neat in an “over the top” sort of way…I suppose?

I like the more rustic craft pictured a lot more.
Think I could manage that; with a little help from friends.
Bet it would be a hoot taking it down the Missouri or Mississippi river for a few hundred miles in a week or so. Done that in a tandem canoe, but it would be a completely different experience on a raft.

1 Like

Interesting …I wonder how that raft would navigate barge traffic and locks.

Bassinett is lovely though. Not sure if the room would be sized for the canoe.

When the kid is two old for a bassinet, just remove the bed, and install a kneeling thwart. Teach 'em to paddle before they can walk!!

Barges:

On our trips on Missouri, and Mississippi, we paddled sections that had no locks or dams. We did have multiple encounters with barges on both rivers. On the first encounter we were too close to the barge; we had a heavy load of gear and (2) two hundred plus pounds of paddlers in the canoe. The barge was no big issue issue; the problem was a series of 4 and 5 feet tall rollers that the barge created astern. We were young; we didn’t know better, but quickly realize those rollers were like a set of ocean waves coming into shore. We didn’t dump, but we took on water that was over ankle deep in the canoe. Canoe was very unstable. We barely made it to shore. If you dump a loaded canoe in the middle of those rivers, you may make shore a half a mile downstream, if you’re lucky. We often made 6 or 7 miles per hour without paddling, just steering.
After that first encounter, we would paddle towards shore like bats out of hell. Even there the rollers would toss you and the canoe about with force.

High centering on a wing dike that was 100 feet out in the river was no fun either. Stepping out of the canoe on top of a wing dike can easily result in a foot entrapment. Wing dikes are nothing but large rocks, dumped into the water in a row to channel the water to the middle of the river. Hundreds of gaps between the rock to slip your foot into. Not good.

After those 2 “big river” trips we decided to retire from those endeavors.
We learned many lessons on those rivers.

BOB

P.S. RIP Mike. You were one of the boldest cavers I ever caved with, a great canoe paddling partner, and you always had my back in our wacky adventures.