Forearm Inflammation

I am searching the web to see what I am doing wrong, or what I could be doing to prevent my forearm from a haunting inflammation problem. My left forearm (small muscle located just under and above where I wear my watch - posterior side) got better when I stopped feathering my paddle. Since then, the problem came back twice over a span of two to three years. I am now suffering from the same problem in the same location on the right forearm - brought on by using a newly constructed Greenland paddle. Discomfort and swelling can last up to a week. Any comments or suggestions from other paddlers who has suffered the same would be appreciated.

Irishmanng

same problem
I encountered much the same problem on trip several years ago. My left forearm began to ache and I was unable to paddle for two days.I recieved medical treatment a doctor who specialized in sports related injuries.

I take ibpruphen before paddling now and carry a prescription anti inflamitory perscribed by the doctor.

I can generally feel when my paddle stroke is beginning to iritate my forearm and make adjustments to my style. So far I have been lucky that I have been able to keep paddling.

good luck

bob

Loosen the grip:
keep proper alignment. Where is the paddle on your hand, in the crotch of your thumb? if you want to paddle in ten years you should consider professional help from experts; both paddling and medical.

Grip
I have to agree with Peter; if a GP hurts, it’s probably from using a death grip on the paddle.

I open my top hand during the stroke to keep my fingers from getting numb, or keep them warm in the winter. Usually on a long paddle, or in low temps. I do the same with a euro paddle, too. I always paddle unfeathered to keep from having a sore elbow. 25 years of competitive racquetball will do that to you.

Wayne

I experienced the same thing last week
I was paddling hard against a head wind. I do not have a death grip on the paddle and try to use open hand push and hooked finger pull. I am new to the paddling scene but I think that it was due to pulling harder than normal. My stroke was bad due to not using enough rotation and not using the push from the offside hand to best advantage.

Focus on these areas and the forearm should ease up.

At least mine did.

Apply Alexander Keith’s India Pale Ale
Guaranteed to work, apply (internally) as needed.

Dr Glenn.

How’s the new Skerray?

Sound advice - however…
Great feedback from all you experienced paddlers. I must say that Dr. Glenn’s advice seems pretty good to me right about know. I finally gave in and sought out my family doc who put me on anti-inflammatory drugs. A paddler does not like to hear that they must rest and let the med’s take affect…we’ll see. I am not one to grip my paddle very hard so I can perhaps rule that out. I have to factor in the unfamiliar paddling motion as one of the catalyst to my injury as well as improper technique in the use of my new Greenland paddle. A physio/massage therapist suggested I “strip” the area before and after my paddle to be sure the area is warmed up prior to and cooled down following my trip. Stripping is aggressively massaging all the muscles of the forearm by pulling/stretching the fibres away from the hand. This increases circulation and helps remove waste and lactic acid which can pool in the area. If all goes well I will be back in the water.

Patrick