Forward Air for boat transport?

Does anybody have any experience with this company? It may be my only choice to get a Kayak from The West Coast to Boston if KAS can’t be timely enough. Are there any other choices? Thanks for any help.

here we go again
Can you provide more info about the boat? Material, length, etc.? From what I’ve heard, forward air isn’t exactly gentle.

USHIP.COM

I used them
15ft Plastic kayak from Ohio to Florida, no problems. Other people have apparently had problems with damage - it happens. Just make sure it’s insured and you DO NOT accept the shipment if there’s any damage, unless it is thoroughly documented and photographed.

You might want to find out how the sender plans on packaging and protecting it.

INSPECT CAREFULLY
and DO NOT ACCEPT the shipment if there is any damage. They are notorious for breaking nice new kayaks. Go to their web site and make sure you understand the procedures for filing a claim before your boat gets there. And have a camera to document what you see as you unpack it.

It might be fine, but be ready for anything.

jim

More info.
Yes, I see now that this topic has been discussed, sorry. The boat is a tandem outrigger canoe from Huki. Thanks.

Forward Air for boat transport ?
Yes I do 2 two forktruck holes in the side of my kevlar tandem willing to pay 52cents a #

Tim

I’ve used them sucessfully…
…to transport an 18’ boat from NH to CO, but I’ve heard more than a few horror stories as well. I don’t know if I would trust them again. There are people who specialize in transporting kayaks that will be more likely to treat them with proper respect.

My Experience…
I have used them several times. They broke my glass boats 50% of the time. Claims were a realy PIA. They refused to pay until you threatened enough times and then they finally paid.

You are rolling the dice if you are shipping a glass boat. 50/50 chance it will get damaged…guaranteed.

Plastic would be fine.

matt

transported 2 for me
One was a composite boat @ 16’ the other a rec boat under 12’. Buyer in both cases. Followed their advise on packing for travel and relayed it to seller. Got insurance of course.

My experiences were A+.

Forward Air was very helpful and communicated the delivery by phone updates.

They also encouraged me to unwrap the boats in their inspection area, which is what everyone should do every time as a matter of course. They required photo ID to pick up the delivery, which is wise.

Finally, since their rates are estimated based on cubic inches, and the freight charges prepaid, they found they had overestimated my cost by ~$20. I had the refund in less than 10 days via check.

insurance.
they WILL NOT honor the insurance you buy no matter how blatent their negligence in damaging the item…ONLY if you write them numerous threatening letters will they finally pay up. I had to be very, very persistent in both cases with them.

try Roadway
Here’s what I wrote last fall on this same question; nothing has changed!

Try www.roadway.com. They ship from the Roadway terminal closest to you to the one closest to the destination address. I shipped a boat from Wisconsin to Montana for under $125.00. YOU have to do ALL the packing, and that means lots and lots of big bubblewrap and numerous layers of cardboard, at the minimum. Better yet, build a box. Inspect the boat BEFORE you leave the pickup terminal. I like Roadway, but don’t expect “dainty handling” from ANY shipper. Great luck

sorry for your experience
there was a lot posted about it here when it first happened and I felt badly for you. But I also could

tell you were fully capable of enforcing your rights.

I never had to make a claim, so I skirted the issue.

That said, it seems that the most advantageous way to ship a composite boat is buy building a wooden container for it or shipping it in a plastic tube as many of the British makers do. That adds cost and weight tho, so many private transactions don’t use either. I’m not defending Forward Air or any trucking company just talking about different strategies.

P.S. I’ve managed commercial properties and have run a few construction sites, so I am unfortunately well acquainted w. hassling over insurance claims. The true test of any coverage is when things go wrong.