FORWARD AIR IS RIPPING ME OFF!!!!!!!

For the record
Picked up my Speeder last night at Forward Air - perfect, no damage. Never had a problem with them but I don’t doubt that bad things can happen.

I agree…
Absolutely. Accepting the package to me represents implicit approval of the sufficiency of the packaging to protect the parcel…especially if it is insured for $2k.

Matt

Suggestions
from a trial attorney.

Matt -

It would be a good idea to get a statement from the shipper as to the condition of the kayak when it was given to forward air. You should also get the name and address of the employee who saw you open the container.

You might even write a confirming letter to the employee as to what the both of you saw so that he doesn’t later claim a loss of memory.

It is a pretty much open and shut case if you can prove that it was in good condition when it was given to Forward Air, and broken when they gave it to you. You don’t have to prove what they did. And the fact that you bought insurance makes it ridiculous.

When you contact the Chicago kayak company, you should copy them with the correspondence and let Forward Air know that they are doing so. That company might even write a letter to Forward Air. They could care less about jerking you around, but they might be interested in their reputation with commercial customers.

Any updates w/ your claim?
The damage to my Impex cost was a lot more than I anticipated - the shop charged four hours so you can figure out the total. They did a beautiful job however.

The shop where I purchased the kayak filed the claim - there’s a 15-day window for this. It’s been supported with two written statements from the guys who prepared it plus pictures that I took at each stage as I unwrappped it in FA’s parking lot. While I missed the damage (hey - new kayak, 108 F, etc), the damage is clearly shown in the pictures.

I also took a picture of the outer layer with “Top Load Only” and a “Fragile - Handle with Care - High Claim Value” stickers.

Just waiting on the response from FA and am mentally prepared to take them to small claims court if that’s an option and if it’s necessary.

I’ve also accepted it as a small item in my life - it’s a nit in the overall scheme of things and it’ll work out one way or the other. I love the kayak - that’s the bottom line.