Forward stroke: muscle vs. speed

ep vs gp
euro paddles are for people who want to pretend to be nigel foster. greeland paddles are for people who want to pretend to be native greenlanders.

Good point, but…
It is possible to already have good form and be looking to refine your stroke by detemining the proper cadence. I think I have pretty good paddling form whether I go with a fast or a slow cadence. Now I am looking to refine my paddling by determing what cadence is best, which will also determine which paddle I will use.

Matt

speed meter, heart rate monitor
that might be the next tool.

My observation is
The difference between Euro-style paddles (EP) and Greeland-style paddles (GP) are the way they look and the way they feel when used. From what I have observed, EP paddle blades are wider than GP blades. GP blades are longer and narrower. Do a search on the web and you can see the obvious physical differences. From the two times I have used a GP, it seems to pull through the water with less of a bite as compared to the EP. But the second time I ever used a GP, it felt like I had very good boat speed with what felt like less work. I am definitely going to get or make a GP.

Lou

personal interest
Each type of paddle will offer you the oppertunity to develope different skills and techniques. I found that learning the different techniques involved in using a greenland paddle took me some time develope but are very rewarding. Greenland paddles can be less stressful on your body due to the narrower grip which keeps your elbows lower and also the ability to adjust the bite of the blade during the pull stroke. Give them both a try. You can make a greenland paddle for $6.

…added $.01
loumi,

…in addition to what everyone’s mentioned…a lot of the power stroke’s success comes from a smooth, constant acceleration, as opposed to a “too-much, too-soon” power-pull…which creates those chaotic eddies…

Does that mean that
those who use wing paddles pretend to be racers???

Cheers,

JackL

i thought that went without saying!

Hmmm…
I hear tell that Nigel was hanging around a bunch of die hard Greenland style enthusiasts at a local pond in these here parts just last month. I wanted to surf and didn’t bother to show. (I’m weird like that. I rather do than listen to someone. Though I hear Nigel was more into “doing” on his informal visit. Good on him!)

Wonder what Foster was thinking, with his rep and all…? Maybe he just like paddling of all sorts. :wink:

sing

That’s not Grayson
The guy in the video is Gray’s friend, John Hofman (http://www.empirefitnessclubs.com/s_hofman.shtml)

Last week I forced Gray to paddle my Romany (complete with backband) to see if I could convince him to sea kayak with me. All the while grumbling “big fat boat, big fat boat”, he took off like a shot. It was the fastest I have ever seen a Romany move. Sadly, his forward stroke looked exactly like his forward stroke does in his K1 leaving me with no more excuses. And I still can’t get him to sea kayak with me.

If you have ever seen Ben Lawry paddle or teach, you’ll notice that he uses the same forward stroke whatever boat he is in and whatever he is doing. He doesn’t believe in a touring stroke, just the most efficient stroke. Judging by his career and results, Ben seemingly has a perfect forward stroke; yet he is constantly working on improving it.