Freya Hoffmeister goes USA

Ditto
Cheers,

JackL

Interesting check

– Last Updated: Jan-25-10 12:33 PM EST –

As usual Salty's comment is a bit brief - I went back and looked at some of the threads. One that went all over the place was a thread or sub-thread talking about an interview in Sea Kayaker magazine, which itself went frankly sexist IMO. That interview included her talking about paddling naked and that she didn't like passing fishermen ogling her. (She wasn't wearing a PFD for this section of the trip.)

I indicated that I'd have rather seen that space used to talk about other aspects of the trip - maybe observations about where she paddled, something like that. Apparently that was sexist too, at least according to some of the guys, many of whom agreed that she was hot and accomplished... :-)

In general, if there is anyone that indicates she is not a very accomplished paddler I am missing it. But it does appear that it is impossible for a female to say anything other than that without a guy calling it catty or saying that the female just has to be jealous. Guys seem to be able to indicate that, while an admirable paddler, her competitive approach is not their personal cup of tea without getting hit over the head.

Is this B&B?
Frankly, I’m apathetic, and thus that’s all I have to say.

i didn’t see the word
topless anywhere…

besides the gulf crossing, i have little interest.

give her 20 or 30 years to hone it down ala derek and his north sea crossing and you’ve got something but til then that vintage is a tad young.

then, please keep the top on.

Back on topic
February 7th, San Diego

February 10th, Vancouver, Capilano University Theatre

http://qajaqunderground.com/oz-slideshow-in-vancouver/

February 12th, Victoria, Ocean River Sports shop

http://qajaqunderground.com/events/race-around-australia-slideshow-in-victoria/

February 16th, Seattle

February 18th: Portland, Mission Theater

http://qajaqunderground.com/events/oz-slideshow-in-portland/

February 23rd, Arcata

February 27th: San Francisco Golden Gate Kayak Symposium

http://qajaqunderground.com/events/oz-slideshow-in-san-francisco/

Sorry guys but…,
I don’t delete subthreads as a habit, whatever gets said next. But when that last one deteriorated to the point of someone saying I had hatred for Freya - that is so far into pure invention I couldn’t let it be.

I don’t, I find her paddling skills admirable and I’ve said so before. I am not a big fan of competitiveness, which is not gender-related. Or of labeling a group of people in quotes.

The unfortunate part is that what went with that delete is a post by Salty for which I did thank him. But it was followed by the other…

looks like fun
If I lived out that way I would like to say hello to some fellow paddlers and hear about her recent trip.

It’s unclear
why all these snide remarks crop up in the middle of these threads, when you don’t have anything to back them up? It’s seems clear to me that you have no real issue against her, don’t know her, haven’t met her, etc… and your only goal is to be obnoxious for attention.

No hard feelings here, but keep in mind I’m more intrested in her recent trip.

paddling/rowing naked – not just Freya
In following Freya’s postings, I thought the paddling naked was a bit much, though I sort of got the idea that it helps avoid saltwater sores from chafing. Now I’ve just finished reading Roz Savage’s “Rowing the Atlantic.” She got sores during a 2005 transatlantic rowing race and then stopped wearing clothes except for a baseball cap, gloves, and shoes. No big deal. She referred to a book by a couple of New Zealander guys who previously rowed the Atlantic. I think the title of their book, she said, was “Rowing Naked.” Anyhow, there’s a practical aspect to going bare – not just self-promotion. Cheers!

Ginger

Thanks for the book idea
I was not currently aware of Roz Savage, though with my rotten memory for names I may have forgotten too. But I just looked at her web site, and am thoroughly impressed. She has a really interesting set of sponsors, especially the Blue Planet Foundation and Project Niu. She seems to have a very clear sight about trying to use technology (and her own exploits) as a means to increase focus on reducing the human footprint and consumption of resources. I am not going to get into arguments about whether that is a good approach, but coupled with her Message this is a very neat woman.

I am always on the hunt for good summer water type reading - her book gets added to my list. And, given the rest, this is someone who I would pay to hear speak. But I doubt she is likely to land any closer to here than NYC even if she does tour.

It’s no big deal
if you just do it. Mentioning it several times in one story and not talking much about other aspects of the journey comes across as flaunting. That said…

I was one of those who thought the first SKM article about that expedition was disappointing in its lack of substance. However, the later articles got more interesting, especially the last one in which she talks about the boredom of so much paddling all day, every day, for so long.

That getting to drive a van for an evening made great diversion, that’s the kind of thing which helps to paint a picture of what a long trip is like. Also the part about puking so much from seasickness that she didn’t have anything left to poop the next morning–when I starting reading that paragraph, I actually thought right away, “Well, no need to burn the toilet paper next morning!” So I laughed when I read her next sentence stating that was the case. It’s those touches that bring a story alive, in addition to the descriptions of big waves, sharks, and so on.

it’s doubly baffling
First larryn asks “why the disrespect”, when–as far as I can tell–except for the first post, there has been no disrespect in this thread (has there been?). And now you. You say I have “no real issues against her”, and check it out: I didn’t bring any up. What snide remarks?

read your post
"I admire her skill and accomplishments, not so much some of her personal conduct…"

that’s a snide remark as many of us reading this have no idea what you mean and for all we know you are just making that up…

good observation
Ginger… On my last kayak camping trip I got bad rash after the first day. We paddled about 20 miles and it was my primary concern for the next day. So, I guess this is what all the resentment is about, she removed her top on a solo trip out in the ocean so that she wouldn’t get a rash?

I suppose by these loft standards yoga is sexually explicit?

Inside Baseball
I think some folks are alluding to “inside baseball” stuff or what they think is “inside baseball”

stuff, but nobody is being direct about it. No comment on any of it other than it does not bear discussing, but that is my impression based on hearing “inside baseball” stuff stories. I suggest Salty had it right.

Salty had it right
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1235264#1237252

I’m surprised it came up in the first place. No one said anything critical of Freya here.

No, that’s not it

– Last Updated: Jan-26-10 9:43 PM EST –

At least for me. I don't know about others. But I'm not responsible for how much anyone understands what is writ here.

What is clear that the topic of Freya Hoffmeister cannot be discussed here without polarizing into two camps. Since that situation is probably not a correct description of anyone's individual response, there really is no point in bothering.

Let sleeping dogs lie

Third Camp
Paddling over Personalities.

A few years back I went to ECCKF and took a class with Dubside. I heard all sorts of whispers, he’s a loaner, a wild man, a recluse, he’s anti-technology, grumpy…hell, they called him plain weird.

I thought the fellow was a joy to be around, he was funny, engaging, warm smile, and laughed.

It just goes to show you often times the rumors, preconceived, and misconceived notions are sometimes pure unadulterated Bull Shit! Sounds a little like prejudice but we all know paddlers are more enlightened than that.

All my paddling friends are a little different compared to mainstream folks I know and that is why I fit in so well. Most of us would never cross paths in our work, social, or family circles but we find a common bond on the water. It doesn’t matter if you are a rec boater or an “intermediate paddler”, we share something that has the drylanders looking at all of us as a little bit odd.

I’m Dan

and I’m a Paddle-Aholic

yeah
a bunch of post got deleted and I probably should have posted under Salty’s thread instead… things are clearing up at the bottom… apparently it was all from the SKM article that is getting blown out of proportions…