Functional Freestyle

Yes! You Can Do The Same Going Backwards
As you do going forwards. Sideways too! It was unfortunate that there was a disconnect between the Sport Canoeing and the Freestyle Canoeing groups years ago, for more and more paddlers would be employing these paddling skills today. I do appreciate the direction you’re taking Freestyle, so that more paddlers will experience the kinesthetic joy of this sport.

Another maneuver
In this video, Bruce is using a post to round a moderate bend in the stream. A post is done similarly to an axle, except that the heel is away from the paddler’s on side.

The primary advantage of the post is that given the same set of conditions, it is a faster turn than the axle. The hull actually carves the turn, using the inherent physics of the hull, wanting to turn away from the heel, to advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsJyMXQgRu8&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Why do an axle instead of a post if …
… given the same conditions, the post is a faster turn than the axle?

There are several reasons

– Last Updated: Nov-19-14 6:56 PM EST –

why folks often choose an axle. I'll touch on a few right now. Hopefully others will expand on the topic.

Likely, the most common reason is comfort. Most paddlers as far more comfortable heeling toward their on side. Heeling backwards is a bit disconcerting at first.

It more resembles an eddy turn/peel out (see some earlier posts) so those with river training may feel more at home with it. As stated earlier, there are some circumstances where an axle is a good alternative for eddies and peel outs and heeling into the turn (which an axle does) may prevent an upset.

The body position is better for a strong catch on a forward stroke, after concluding an axle than it is when concluding a post.

Perhaps there is an S turn in the stream. After turning to your on side (1st half of the S) there will be an immediate turn to the off side. After completion of the axle (the turn to the on side) the boat will already be heeled and the paddler in position to plant a wedge, which will nudge the boat to the offside.

Does anyone want to expand on this list?

It’s More Romantic
Compare: http://www.vimeo.com/75319169

ps: for over 20 years, I haven’t succeeded doing it on my OC-1, the bloody ama gets in the way.

A few other minor ones…
one being that an onside heel axel affords visibility of the paddle placement. Bony creeks with rock or submerged deadfall can make an off side heeled post a little more “iffy”.

However, I like to think of a post as “sharper” turn (as opposed to a “quicker” turn, for the carving aspect that Marc already mentioned. in regard to using it on a creek, I probably can use the axle and get the turn accomplished just fine, likely using some type of modest initiation, placing the paddle, heel and bow draw and possibly in to a forward stroke. I can also make that turn sharper by pitching more weight forward, more aggressive heel, and perhaps a dynamic stroke. However, maybe I could just plant the paddle on a post, do a slight off side heel, and the boat comes around with perhaps no bow draw. To me, it is about what is most efficient (I like to think of that as energy expended). Of course,as Marc already mentioned, one is always thinking about what the next turn or maneuver might be and you plan accordingly. I also never lose sight of the fact that sometimes certain turns and maneuvers just are more fun than others! That is what is really all about…enjoyment!

To each his own
My tripping is usually Algonquin or vicinity and I happily post and wedge at very slow speed on approaches to portages where I am trying to get into shallow water and disembark the solo boat without my getting immersed.

I like posts cause the whole boat is under me should I lose my balance… I have done that… ungracefully but still dry.

Fun is a good reason
I do all kinds of turns, but thought the axle vs. post question would be a natural one for newer paddlers.

Doing different turns just for variety and fun is indeed one of the joys of canoeing.

Another consideration is hull shape. A highly rockered hull with soft chines – like a whitewater canoe – will be very amenable to highly snappy axle turns. An unrockered touring canoe will be much more resistant to axle turns and will respond better to post turns.

Creature of habit
There are lots of ways to move a boat, but I gravitate to what I know. Coming from a whitewater background, I am much more likely to do an axle or cross axle rather than a post or a wedge, even though the post or wedge are probably more efficient at turning the boat in flat or slower moving water. Same is true with sideslips. I do cross draw sideslips all the time, but I never do a pry sideslip. I need to branch out…

You might find branching out is fun
I, too, gravitate to what I knew: River and faster water. Then I began studying FS technique and not only is it interesting and fun, but my faster river paddling improved immensely.

I had similar experiences…
I was a canoe instructor and WW paddler before taking up FS and considered myself a very good paddler. My first FS lessons were under so called laboratory conditions, a safe pond with plenty of safety boats around. Without extraneous conditions to deal with, I really began to understand the relationship between body, boat, and blade. Once that was understood, I was able to go out under battle conditions and had much greater mastery of my hull. It was fantastic. So, lesson learned is, get competent in basic paddling first, then go to FS. I eventually got interested in FS as a discipline and went on to compete.

Basic instruction
is a significant part of all of the canoe symposiums, listed on the freestyle website. It’s one of the reasons we no longer refer to them as “freestyle symposiums”. If in doubt at to which classes are appropriate for you, call or email the event organizer. He/sh will be happy to discuss that. We’re also flexible, about reassigning students after events begin. We never want to see students stuck in inappropriate classes.

More on getting the basics
I know lots of folks try to pick up the basics from a video or books. Sometimes instruction is not available in an area and othertimes instruction is perceived as too expensive.

But its amazing how many paddlers show up not knowing how to move their boat in any direction effectively using active strokes. Ie those draws, pries, forward, reverse, or correction strokes to travel straight. At our canoe symoposia we do have an opportunity for cleaning up those lackings. Instructor feedback for one minute often answers the nagging question a paddler has “why is this not working for me”? Videos and books are terrible for personal feedback!

So you do have to learn to walk and move your boat with active pushing and pulling( thats all what paddling is) before moving on to the “fancier” -I’ll call it what it is…lazier… stuff.

All the FS meets have had name changes to address the need to teach basics first and to revisit basics for those who would benefit. Sometimes instructors go back to being students to make sure they haven’t lapsed in to bad habits. Or relapsed…

And this is all fun… just messing in boats. We like smiling faces having fun.

I see Marc posted while I was composing…now part of this sounds like an echo!

Both Knees in one chine
Both Knees in one chine does make it easier to heel the boat.

But it makes it MUCH harder to recover when that heel goes too far.

Another position is "ankle on knee"
I use it quite a bit on creekin’ stuff. I frequently paddle in the Northwoods Traveling position (onside knee down; offside knee up). Just shift the offside knee over so that the foot is now resting on your onside knee. Makes for an easy recovery…

It does?
Sounds like yoga…lessee my left foot on my right knee…

better go get my drysuit. There is skim ice on the lake.

another thought…
Such good discussion going on here! In response to some thoughts expressed in previous posts on this thread…no matter what sort(s) of paddling one prefers, it is primarily about boat control in whatever conditions one finds oneself in. Instruction in any sort of paddling will stress that, and teach to that. FS paddling, and instructon, is just one means to the same end. Those of us who consider ourselves “FreeStyle paddlers” (whatever that may mean)use the knowledge/techniques we have acquired in learning how to “drill holes in the water”, as someone somewhere has said, in our everyday paddling all the time. The rivers in the videos attached here are just such a wonderful place to apply and experiment with all of that practical knowledge. We don’t “rail” stuff in real life, usually don’t do 180s, 'cause it isn’t necessary. But in learning how to do that “fancy” stuff, we are really learning how to be a better partner with our boat (the goal of any paddling instruction), how to “speak” to it, and how to listen as well. Any paddling experience is an on-going conversation between you and the boat about moving thru the water right here, right now. And like any conversation, there’s give-and-take, and adjustments on the fly - often, on such small streams as these, several adjustments in the midst of one stroke. Just one way to get to the same place…

Moving your offside foot
from the centerline of the boat to the onside chine is not that difficult including the opposite move. It does take a little bit of time to get used to it, though.

and its way cheaper than owning a horse
For those who ride its kinda akin to canoe dressage.

Minus the feed, farrier bills, and vet bills etc.

Some do both.

Getting back to the post discussion
We’ve bantered about some reasons to use the axle, but why use the post?

As mentioned earlier, it is a faster turn and is more efficient since it works with the physics of the heeled hull.

I like to use the post, especially in shallow or debris encumbered water because you are essentially in a high brace throughout most of the maneuver. If the paddle catches on the bottom or between submerged logs, you can simply pull yourself upright. There is no brace with the axle.If the paddle tip trips over the bottom or a branch, it will likely result in a swim.

Why else would you choose to use a post.