Future Beach Angler 144

Hi All,

I am a first time user of this message board and I am looking for some advice. I used to kayak some in college and I am thinking about buying a kayak of my own.

I have found a used Future Beach Angler 144 at a local shop and they are asking $349.00 for it. I called and they said they would do $300+tax. I was wondering if that is a good deal or not for that boat.

I am not sure how old it is but it appears to be in pretty good shape. I have kayaked in my past but only go 4-5 times a year. So i am not looking for a overly expensive, top of the line kayak. Just something i can use for recreation and a little fishing every now and then. I also plan to take it on the some of the sounds at the coast.

Is this Kayak something that would work for me or should I look for something different. If the price i mentioned above seems too high, what should I be looking to spend on this kayak.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you all.

depends
Future Beach is pretty low end, and the angler 144 is kind of a heavy barge. It’s mainly a fishing platform and not something you are going to much enjoy paddling any distance. They are also not known for quality (fittings tearing out of the hull, having warped plastic.). It 's on the short side for coastal paddling too. But $300 is about what it’s worth. Check it carefully for warping. The sort of discount sports outlets that sell that brand have the bad habit of leaving them on display for months out in the blazing sun of their parking lots and they can have substantial damage from heat and UV exposure. Flip it over and eyeball the hull, also don’t buy it if the plastic looks dry or crackled or faded. At that price, if it is in reasonable shape, at least you could probably sell it for close to what you paid for it if you decide it isn’t what you really want.