Garmin - Boo!

Thanks Greg!
Mine’s due for replacement soon - but can’t really justify color, etc. My GPSMAP76 is overkill. Prices haven’t dropped on tehm in 4 years though - so might be worth an upgrade if not much more…

Any idea how the battery life compares? I’ve heard color drains them faster.

Color Screens and battery drain
My understanding is that the new color screens have very low drain. However the sensors on the “S” models (barometric pressure sensor, electronic compass) have lower battery life than the non-sensor versons of the same type.

According to Garmin, the GPSMAP 76 (non-color screen) is rated at 16 hours battery life, the GPSMAP 76Cx (color screen, extensible memory) is rated at 30 hours, and the GPSMAP 76CSx (color screen, sensors, extensible memory) is rated at 20 hours.

Greg Stamer

I have the 60 CS
The sensors, electronic compass and barimetric pressure are nice features. You can see a weather trend or event and know if storms are getting close. If you get a new one get it with expandable memory it lets you load more maps. Also I think the 76 and the 60 now have a more senstive reciever that picks up faster and keeps a signal under deep tree canapies.