Gas motor on square stern canoe

I have a square stern rated at 2.5hp.I kicked around the thoughts of a trolling motor battery setup(around 80lbs)or a gas motor.The first choice cost around 350.00 compared to a 2 cycle

around 525.00-600.or i’ve found a 4 cycle yahama

for under 700.00.Only problem with the gas engine

is where to put it,i drive a suv and don’t want to passout from gas fumes,fulton canoe carrier is in rear hitch also? Gas motor weighs around 30lbs

total.

"Back in the old days…"
It used to be fairly common for people to fish from small cartoppable boats, and to carry a small outboard in the car when traveling. My dad used to do it that way all the time, and I never recall smelling fumes, even when opening up the car after it had been locked up in the sun. Make sure you shut off the fuel supply (or disconnect the remote tank, whichever fits your situation) and run the carburetor dry each time you bring the boat back to the launch site. Do that and there will be no place for the fuel to leak from (that’s assuming the filler cap is leak-proof when the vent is shut, as it’s supposed to be).

fuel odors
Used to have a little 5 hp with an internal tank. Not a problem with odor if run dry. But, I hated fooling around with the damn thing. Never felt as though my hands were without the smell of oil/gas. That’s not a good formula for fishing. Besides they are cranky. Be sure that if you do get a motor that it has a clutch drive for the prop, not shear pins…don’t know if smaller motors come with clutches. Shear pins break too easily and its no fun hanging off the end of the boat replacing one.

Motor fumes
You could re rig your bumper hitch by extending the arm that holds the canoe and attaching a small carrier to hold the motor and gas. A local fabrication shop could handle this easily. Or put a rack on your SUV and eliminate the bumper hitch rack. You could even mount a bracket on the side of the vertical riser and just use the motor clamps to secure the motor on the side of the riser.

Just carry extra shear pins. When you break them you will likey be near shore so just paddle over and change it on land. No problem.

I liked Electric…
I used to have a 17’ Aluminum Michicraft canoe. It was heavy as the dickens, but it paddled well.

I had a high torque Min-cota electric motor I would clamp on the sides of the Canoe. It would push us with 2 people in the canoe fast enough to make a decent wake. Since we usually went into no wake zone areas, I only occasionally used it at full speed. Sorry I don’t remember the pounds of thrust it had, but I am 100% sure it did not have the 80 pounds of thrust as the one you have.

With electric you have to fool with the battery, and with gas, you have the smell and exhaust. I’d take electric any day over gas on a canoe, unless I was doing all day trips, where it would be easier to carry extra gas, over a spare battery. And the electric is so much quieter!

Just my humble opinion!

Happy paddling!

motor on canoe
After much research and thought i believe i will

look for the lightest group 24 battery made and

look into the minnkota maxuum electric motors that

are suppose to run longer than other motors.Anyone with experience with this one?

Variable speed
The motors with the variable speed control run a lot longer than the multi speed (set speed indents). I have used them for years and they do use less power. Check out the motors with remote control. They will be a lot more comfortable to use. You will probably have to extend the cables on the motor so you can place your battery for better trim. I have not had a problem with gas fumes from gas motors as long as the vent is shut. If you are camping and cant recharge, the gas might be a better option.

Quick disconnect
My Catamaran 2 cycle motor has a fuel quick disconnect… so the motor really has almost no fuel in it except a litle in the fuel bowl. The marine store sells nice little fuel containers and you could carry that outside the vehicle. ImpalaBob

Tanaka motor?

– Last Updated: May-18-05 3:06 PM EST –

Someonementioned this brand to me but i'm leary
of it.It only weighs 24 lbs

Tanaka Outboards
I think that’s the brand of little motor my dad uses right now. It works, but what an odd-ball design!!! It uses a centrifugal-clutch driven two-speed transmission from a mo-ped! Power control is thus a little herky-jerky compared to a normal outboard, but he bought it used for a song, and it’s okay for his short little jaunts into the Mississippi backwaters to hunt ducks. Oh yeah, for some reason it is designed for right-hand control. Every other outboard I’ve used is left-hand control, leaving your right hand free for more dextrous requirements, like handling your fishing pole.

Tanaka - 3hp
I own a 16’ Oldtown Discovery. It’s purchase was a compromise between small boat and canoe. I use it for Saltwater Flyfishing here in CT, RI and MA. I especially like using it for sight fishing stripers on Cape Cod, MA.

I debated the selection of an electric v. gas motor and finally went with a 3 hp Tanaka. It was one of the few available at the time (1997). The little engin pushes 2 men, and a boatload of tackle aprox GVW of 650 lbs. (The canoe is rated for 1,100 lbs)

Now several years later it continues to perfom well. Run the motor dry each time and just throw it in the back of my Pickup…I never had a problem with the motor or it’s operation. The 2 stroke gives plenty of thrust…more than an equivalent electric according to some engineering charts that compare the two. Also, the gas engine has higher torque…which is different than pure lbs of thrust.

With the Discovery the whole system tracks very nicely and I always have my oars as a backup or for the times when I want a silent approach.