Gaskets and Goretex - Repair Questions

I’m not completely new to this, as I’ve now replaced wrist and neck gaskets on two Kokatat suits without problems. I’ve used the method where you leave about 1" of old gasket material and attach the new one thereto.

There were two things I wondered from those of you who have done plenty more than I have:

1. Do you bother with a narrow bead of sealant where the new gasket meets the old? If so, do you apply it inside, outside, or both?
  2. For small pinholes and local abrasions (specifically on socks) where a tiny smear of sealant will fix the problem, do you apply it inside or out?

Mine need done too. Seem bit gummy or my imagination. Didn’t over 393 them I know that does harm if over done.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Mine need done too. Seem bit gummy or my imagination. Didn’t over 393 them I know that does harm if over done.

If gummy, they’re likely overdue for replacement. Mine were the same way and I was surprised by the difference between old and new.

Locate the YouTube video from NRS and use that for instructions. The technique worked very well for me.

Sunscreen is a big factor in latex degradation, UV exposure as well. I doubt you can use too much protectant, but maybe there’s more than just anecdotal evidence for or against.

Kokatat does say 303 can make them soft. Neck seems worst on mine. Don’t really use sun screen in winter. They say no more than once a month with 303.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Kokatat does say 303 can make them soft. Neck seems worst on mine. Don’t really use sun screen in winter. They say no more than once a month with 303.

Interesting to note. I doubt I’ve done mine more than that. Probably more like three or four times per year.

I’ve used sunscreen, but try to avoid contact between it and the gaskets. I’ve also tried more natural sunscreens, but haven’t been satisfied with the efficacy. I suspect that sweat and body oils contribute to the decay as well.

Mine were marked 2013, so I’ve got 3-4 years out of them. I don’t think that’s too bad.