Gel coat resin

The other thread current got me curious.

Are gel coats (i.e. pigmented resin) available to the general public in anything other than polyester resin?

When a manufacturer uses a custom mixed (colored) gel can it be produced with vinylester resin?

Can you gel coat with polyester resin and then lay up the boat using vinylester?

Best,

~wetzool

Polyester and vinylester are compatible
and as was pointed out elsewhere, are sometimes mixed. I don’t know if there is a “vinylester” gelcoat, but builders who use vinylester and gelcoat are laying vinylester resin right over “polyester” gelcoat.

I feel kinda dumb at the moment, because I don’t know whether one could lay epoxy resin and cloth over polyester gelcoat. Truth will follow.

Sure!
One can buy VE Gel coat, must almost no-one does, due to price and availability. The price isn’t the larger issue, as VE gel is generally not stocked, and certainly not stocked in custom colors. When the tub is low it’s really nice to call and ask for another and get it in three days.

So, most spray PE gel into the mold and resinate their hulls with VE.

gelcoat
Can also get epoxy gelcoat, but it’s rare.

Most use polyester because it’s most plentiful and has no structual purpose anyway.

Bill H.

Eric, do you know that from experience?

– Last Updated: Dec-17-09 3:19 AM EST –

Sounds like you don't.

I feel the love in this room !!!
The joy of the Holiday season has permeated this board. God rest ye Merry Gentlemen!

Jim

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas!

Santa wears a red gel coat.

Wouldn’t …
a yellow gel coat be heavier and therefore better in winter?

But red is FLAME-colored
Jsaults is right about the Christmas Crankies.

And Gentle Womb-Men!
NM

Jim

Instead of the man boobs we have
around here…