Georgian Bay - Trip Report

-- Last Updated: Aug-08-07 2:03 AM EST --

I did the Georgian Bay trip that I asked questions about a few months ago, here's the follow up. I think I live on the wrong Great Lake. :)

The trip was four days from Byng Inlet to the Bustard Islands. We were wind bound in Gale Force 35 knot winds for much of two days, and ended up not being able to explore the Bustards as much as we had liked, but we did end up paddling 2.5 days and around 50 miles. We ended up doing a 3 or so mile crossing, and had some fun in small waves.

The whole area is breathtaking and I will definately go back to paddle there again. I've just never seen anything like it. Plus the water was warm (50 F).

Did I mention that we saw a bear swimming?

Pictures here:
http://www.bryanhansel.com/grandmarais/?p=726
http://www.bryanhansel.com/grandmarais/?p=720
http://www.bryanhansel.com/grandmarais/?p=716

I'll post a longer trip report on nessmuking in the next couple of days.

http://www.nessmuking.com/shoulderhigh.htm

Beautiful
Thx for the pics Brian. Let us know when you put the report up.

Wonderful pics Brian
The one with Bustard Lighthouse and the yaks, in my opinion, should easily win “picture of the week”.

picture of the week?

– Last Updated: Jun-29-07 7:21 PM EST –

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Is that an official p.net contest? (I'm a pro, so I probably don't qualify.)

It sort of is a contest- the P.net
newsletter publishes a photo of the week along with the runner up. Some of us have submitted our photos. I’ve never read of any restrictions on pros and IMHO you are clearly a pro whether you derive an income from your work or just take outstanding pics.

Trip Report Up
The full trip report story and more photos are finally posted.

You can find it here: http://www.nessmuking.com/shoulderhigh.htm

I didn’t put down the fees for camping on Crown Land and Park Land, mainly, because we never were able to figure out: a)what they were, and b)who to pay. If anyone knows for sure what the details are, I’ll add them to the trip report to help people plan.

Cheers.

Thx Brian
How was the traffic? See any boaters? Kayakers or Canoeists?

Boaters
We didn’t see any canoeist or kayakers, but we did see plenty of boat traffic and even large power boats anchored in the Bustards. There’s a well marked channel that runs through all the island and on the first day, we had fog, so we stuck to the channel for awhile and got passed, probably 10 times, the couple of hours we were on the channel. Saw all kinds of sailboats, and motorboat traffic. It’s pretty busy there. Surprisingly busy, but it’s such a great place, I can understand why people like to go there.

I’m going to head back there. Hopefully, in the fall.

sailboating
I know a retired gentlemen who heads for the North Channel and Georgian Bay every summer with his sailboat. He and his wife spend 3 months cruising and gunkholing. He is 83 and has been doing this for the past 20 years.

I can see why
The place is so magical. Aren’t you doing a trip there this year?

Going to get to Lake Superior Provincial Park next Monday/Tuesday. It’s a Canadian year for me!

Not now
After our Pukaskwa adventure last summer it seemed a logical next step to hit Georgian Bay. I wanted to do Killarney to Killbear this summer. My wife had other plans so I had to cancel. Maybe next year.

Georgian Bay
Nice report and great photo’s Bryan. Georgian Bay is my absolute favorite place to paddle. I spent 6 years of my childhood living in Canada not far from the Bay. Have gone back to paddle there as well and plan to go back in a year or so. It being fresh water and not salt water is a plus. Fantastic scenery and relative solitude. The ability to camp anywhere is a bonus.

Andy

georgian bay is beautiful
I live about 45 min from southern georian bay

& paddle there often. In the following few weeks

I’ll be at french river down to georian bay refered to as the delta then on to temagami for a

few days(crown land don’t have to pay to camp).

I liked your trip pics but I’ll recommand a better

beer, creemore.

Beer
Ya, anything is probably better than Labatts. I’ll have to try Creemore next time I’m over that way.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Wooden kayak
Bryan:

Your very detailed account of your boat building experience is wonderful. I have never built anything, but your words inspired me. I just bought a Merganser 18. I love the boat, but I can only imagine the feeling of having built one of these beautiful boat.

Keep up the great stuff. I spent most of Sunday reading all the info on websites you are connected with.

Take care

Jim

Wooden kayak
Bryan:

Your very detailed account of your boat building experience is wonderful. I have never built anything, but your words inspired me. I just bought a Merganser 18. I love the boat, but I can only imagine the feeling of having built one of these beautiful boat.

Keep up the great stuff. I spent most of Sunday reading all the info on websites you are connected with.

Take care

Jim

Thanks
Thanks for the kind words!