Gettin' my feet wet! Skirt?

Welcome all! I’m a newb here. My name is Josh and I’m from Indiana. I love kayaking, canoeing, and all things water. Just “getting my feet wet” here –haha! Currently own a 10.5 Perception Sport Kayak – It has a lip around it – any ideas on how I can find a good skirt for this? Are they pretty much all universal? I’ve looked on Amazon and I just don’t want to buy something that won’t work.

I’m wanting to be able to practice flipping.

Sprayskirt
The Seals fit list says your boat should take a size 7.0 nylon skirt. The cockpit of your boat is quite large, so a skirt will really only be effective for splash protection. In rough water any waves onto the deck will likely cause it to implode (collapse inward off the cockpit rim), which is to say your boat is fine & enjoyable for calm protected waters. It also appears has no built in floatation, so without float bags installed it will likely become a submarine in a capsize. If by “flipping” you mean rolling, at 29.5 inches wide it would be a bit of a challenge for an accomplished roller to pull off. Enjoy it for what it is intended.

Wanna Roll?
Hey, I used to live in Southern Indiana. Paddled the Ohio and Blue River.

To make it POSSIBLE to roll you should probably get yourself a 'yak that’s a nice, beginner-friendly roller.

Wow
I never knew it got so technical! I’m blown away. Sounds like the kayak I got is not built for the rougher waters, though I thought it was. It’s hard to find quality kayaks around here, Bass Pro and Dicks Sporting Goods seem to be the only places that sell them, though they’re basic ones with “large cockpits” like mine. I was going to practice in a swimming pool or nearby pond first but it sounds like I’ll need a new yak - which is something I’ve been wanting anyways. Thanks for the response!

Awesome!
I’ve paddled the Blue and Ohio as well a couple of times. I mainly paddle the White River, and do some small creek running here and there. The Muscattatuck River near my home has very good amount of fun rapids after every turn after just a decent rain that is very fun no matter how many times you do it.

Yeah, the wife will LOVE when I tell her I “need a new kayak” - but I’ll bring it up next time she “needs a new car/dresser/etc” lol.

Don’t buy until
you try several. At this point, you’ve discovered you don’t know what you don’t know. We were all there. If you have no kayak shops nearby, consider a road trip to a symposium. Take some lessons & try multiple boats. Take your wife along and make it a getaway for you both. Maybe she’ll give it a try too. Do some reading and video watching. Caveat: there are some excellent ones & some not so great. People here will be glad to suggest some. And don’t be to hasty to sell the yak you’ve got. I have a couple of rec boats in the “fleet.” They’re fun & relaxing for their intended purpose & conditions. Welcome.

This is a Roller

– Last Updated: Jul-29-16 6:16 AM EST –

At pool skool everyone got their first roll in a Pirouette. Looky here:

http://www.replaysportsva.com/products/pirouette-kayak-with-accessories?variant=22265335683

Or a Piedra
As long as we are talking old boats…

For rough water…
You need a smaller cockpit than in any rec boat. And fit so you are in good contact with thigh braces etc.

Go to the manufacturer’s web sites and look at touring boats, that is the group where you will start to see what you more likely need. Or a crossover.

Yes
Great rolling tools and the prices are awesome.

resources in your area
How far are you from Frankfort, Kentucky? There is an outfitter there who has some more versatile boats, like the Hurricane Santee and some of the longer Jackson kayaks:

http://www.canoeky.com/#!home/mainPage

And there appears to be a very active Meetup paddling group in the Louisville area which would be a good place to find people to paddle with and even find skills classes. They have a used boat “sale and trade” page, too, which could be a place to find a more technically competent boat:

http://www.meetup.com/LACK-GROUP/messages/boards/forum/1064903