getting back in after falling out.

Self Taught Is Possible

– Last Updated: Jul-07-06 9:37 AM EST –

I learned self rescues and rolls/braces on my own and then practice in increasingly more challenging conditions. You need partners (you have one with your spouse) for assisted rescues. John Lull's book, Seakayaking Safety and Rescues, is the best in my estimation (of the various books I have on sea kayaking), because it not only deals with techniques but with watch to watch for and the progression of skills in conditions.

Of course, learning is faster with an instructor. But, not having an accessible instructor should not dissuade you from learning. Its quite doable.

A reentry is easy to learn. The issue is understanding its/your limitation once you are in conditions with winds and waves.

sing

Thanks Sing
I appreciate the response. And Evan, again, we very much want to do lessons so we can expand our abilities, but while that’s not possible right now we imposed our saftety restrictions so we can still enjoy paddling safely.

Back to my original question though - is there a recommendation for paddle floats that we should use as beginners? Or are they pretty much all equal?

Double Inflatable Chambers

– Last Updated: Jul-07-06 9:48 AM EST –

backup/redundacy. Different brands have that feature. The downside to inflatables is the time to blow up. But they stow away easier.

Foam floats can be used easier/faster. Good for cold water conditions with less time/manipulation involved. Downside is that they are bulky. If kept on deck, they can be washed away by a wave. Another downside is that they are not as bouyant. Personally, I don't think anybody without a roll should go out in the winter and rely on a paddle float rescue. But, that's me.

I prefer inflatable.

sing

OK
Thanks. Saw one with CO2 cartridges, but I couldn’t tell if it also had a blow-up tube. I didn’t know if there were any bouyancy ratings either. I’ll keep looking.

a bit over stated
yes, my post sounds over stated. What I mean exactly is it is that one can’t learn on one’s own, just important to hear from mentors just what is needed, what the barriers are to recoveries in real conditions. Sorry folks, really does sound a bit overdone!!!

Evan

IMHO, the best inflatable paddlefloat
is the Gaia. You can get it at the University of Sea Kayaking (www.useakayak.org), if you can’t find it locally.

It has two chambers and valves that can be worked with one hand. Easy to inflate and deflate.

That’s why it’s the one I use.

Not at all
Evan, I don’t think you overstated your position at all…you have an obvious concern for the safety of others and that’s never a bad thing. I do appreciate your concern…and agree with it.

While saying that, realize I’m not a 16 y/o fearless paddler, I’m 41, understand my limitations , and have experienced enough in life to realize what I can and cannot do myself.

That’s a rec kayak…
… so everything you’ve just heard about rolling, paddlefloat re-entries, re-enter and roll, really doesn’t apply to you. If you come out of your Zydeco, it’s going to fill up with water and float with maybe 4" of boat showing. Even if you could get back in with a paddlefloat, the boat will be totally awash and very unstable. Best advice: don’t fall out, or try to be in shallow water if you do.

Feel free to prove me wrong, but try it close to shore, in about 2 feet of water.

BTW, I frequently teach beginners to re-enter and roll touring boats with a paddlefloat. Success rate is about 75%.

S