Getting confused

I bought my first yak last year, Wildy Ride 115 & love it, but was thinking of a little lighter yak this year. Was thinking of a sit-in this year but there are so many to pick from. I am about 6 ft & 275 lbs., 64, have some leg disabilities, had a stroke a few years ago, & NOT built like a greek god by any means. Got the Ride for stability & am quite comfortable with it. Would like a little faster & lighter boat tho. Been reading reviews on the Pungos & really leaning that way although have not had a chance to ride in one yet. Any others you can recommend for me considering my build & what I’m looking for. Probably all lake use & biggest wave would be a boat. Needs to be real stable is main concern tho. Thanks in advance…Mike

Hurricane Expedition 140
If you really need a big Pungo sized cockpit you might want to try to find one of these:

http://hurricaneaquasports.com/our-kayaks/hybrid-day-touring/expedition-140-sport-mango/

It is a bit less beamy than a Pungo and also much lighter. I have never tried the Hurricane out so no real practical experience with this kayak. I have seen them at shows and they are very shinny.

Tsunami 145

adding to confusion
do you really need a deck? A pack canoe has the same seating arrangement and is much lighter and is less confining.

Essentially a deckless kayak

http://swiftcanoe.com/packcanoes/pack136.html

Second the idea of a pack canoe

– Last Updated: Apr-14-14 10:47 AM EST –

Super lightweight to carry, you are seated in the bottom so very stable, and easy in/out compared to a kayak.

The Pungo is a decent choice in this kind of use - it is so open it is almost not a closed cockpit anyway. But it is also heavier than a pack canoe. And we do have friends one of whom has managed to capsize his, on flat water. Because it is just closed enough to acquire water, it is a bear to manage once capsized on the water. A pack canoe may have other issues, but weight is not likely to be one of them.

lightness option
The lightest and most stable large guy boat is going to be a folding or skin on frame kayak. Look at the Pakboat XT-15. Easy to get into (large cockpit), super comfortable inflatable seat, lots of leg room, very stable with inflatable sponson tubes the length of the boat, paddles nicely with good speed and, best of all, only weighs 39 pounds and you can pack it in a duffel bag over the winter.

Pakboat XT 15
looks like its discontinued though I found ten on Amazon.

Quest 155 looks like a replacement.

Eddyline Denali
I rode an Eddyline Denali this weekend (http://www.eddyline.com/kayak-models/denali) that you might consider. It is a 15’ 50 lbs. sea kayak. Not a cheap boat but a high quality sea kayak that will certainly fit a larger person if that is what you are looking for.

David

question…
…have you seriously thought about …or tried… a sit-on -top kayak instead if a SINK? I’m not sure of the overall weight of one but, maybe…a SOT would work better for you.

How was the Denali?
What conditions did you try it in?

Correct, Quests are replacing the XT’s
The Quests will be phasing out the XT-15, but enough of the latter were sold and distributed that I think some will be available for a while yet, maybe at a discount (as the Puffin 12’s were when they were phased out).

Swift Shearwater, Hemlock Peregrine

– Last Updated: Apr-15-14 2:46 PM EST –

are two solo canoes to look at, if you happen to see them. Both efficient(imho), great stablity, lightweight(~35lbs-Peregrine(kevlar)), 15'9",26.5"gunwaleW..... ~32lbs-Shearwater(kev-fusion), 16'2",26"gunwaleW. Both a little pricey but great canoes. A 6' guy's torso can easily use kayak spoons with these, or sit&switch w/canoe paddle.

Okay
I paddled the Denali for about 30 min in 10 to 15 mph winds on a small lake. It handled that with no problems. I am used to boats that are longer and narrower and much faster and more maneuverable. But the boat is well made and well equipped. Its main advantage over other Eddyline boats is that it has a large cockpit capable of handling a 250+ lbs paddler.

David