Getting in a tippy kayak in strong wind/waves

Hello guys,
I’m kayaking since many years but I still didn’t figure out how to easily get into my keyhole type, 21" narrow sea kayak on a beach, rocky shore when there are considerable waves due to the wind. Not huge waves mind you, say 25mph wind with 1 foot waves, nothing crazy. On the sandy beach I go knee deep into the water, perpendicular to the shore, use the paddle as an outrigger. I have like 2 seconds to “jump” into my tippy kayak before the next wave will throw me off balance. Even if I’m quick the seat will be wet.
It’s even worse with steep rocky shore as I don’t want to scratch my fiberglass kayak and paddle but the waves are pounding and I can only have the kayak parallel to the shore as the water is too deep.
Sitting in on the beach and pushing myself into the water with my hands would scratch the bottom I guess, never tried.

Should I just practice the outrigger type or there are better techniques?

Thanks,
Mike

Yup, just get quicker at it. Sounds like you’ve got the right technique. With practice you may be able to straddle the boat, sit, raise your legs (one at a time, likely), all while sculling with your paddle for support. As soon as you’re in the boat and can put your thighs in the braces, GO! Sculling eliminates the time needed to switch from “outrigger” position to “paddling” position.

Unless the waves are breaking over the boat and swamping you don’t worry about your skirt until you’ve paddled out beyond the surf line.

Staying dry is asking too much. Kayaking is a wet sport.

Plop your butt in the seat, then bring your legs in. Something a little easier if you have a tight fit bringing your legs in, is I like to slide one leg into the kayak with the other on the ground. Sit your butt down in the seat as you lift your other leg off of the ground. With paddle in hand, you can stabilize yourself if you have well-learned blade angle control if necessary for a very quick moment. Bring your second leg in. Don’t be afraid to fail 10 times as you practice it 15. But this stuff feels more natural fairly quickly if you really commit to it.

Consider getting a keel strip on the boat - to allow you to worry less about scratching the bottom. Expect to get some water in the boat with you, from seat or feet. Other than that as above, just do it more and get more relaxed and faster.

25 mph wind on a lee shore and you’ve got 1 ft waves… Why are you going out again?
If the boat’s not tippy until you get in it. Maybe it isn’t the boat. You need more time in the cockpit.

launch in shallower water where kayak is steady. Then place paddle in sand and your other hand in sand and walk yourself out like that. I think there are some Utube vids on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6G-nE0v6Dc

Well those west coast people got it figured out. The Body Boat Blade Speed Launch… [ https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Lo8jOSJ0c]( https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Lo8jOSJ0c " https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Lo8jOSJ0c")

@Overstreet said:
Well those west coast people got it figured out. The Body Boat Blade Speed Launch…

It actually works pretty well, though harder in larger waves. This was even covered briefly when I did Paddle Canada Skills 2.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:
launch in shallower water where kayak is steady. Then place paddle in sand and your other hand in sand and walk yourself out like that. I think there are some Utube vids on it.

I hope you’re joking, but fear you aren’t.

Thank you guys for the great comments! Appreciate a lot!!

Gs96c599@aol.com - whow, this video with the guy sliding down on rocks! :slight_smile: I wouldn’t do that even in my old rotomolded kayaks. Even with keel strips this is crazy. I saw some videos where people just jump off from rocky cliffs 10 feet above into rough seas. I might be crazy to kayak in 25mph winds but not this crazy.

Overstreet - why am I going out? I like kayaking and perfect weather is rather rare around here. :slight_smile: I would think 25y of kayaking with 100hrs per year would have given me enough cockpit time. My 21" QCC600 is pretty tippy (primary stability that is, secondary is awesome) compared to the ~28" kayaks I also have. But you have a point, I should either practice more or use my 28" barges in windy conditions.

QCC I assume rudder too, don’t do that Body Boat Blade thing or you might cut your self were you never want too. Plus I sure wouldn’t want to buy a used boat from those knuckle heads who slid down rocks to the water. Even the guy with the glass boat slid it near the end of his carry. Thats called beat to death boats.

@mikiszoke said:
I saw some videos where people just jump off from rocky cliffs 10 feet above into rough seas. I might be crazy to kayak in 25mph winds but not this crazy.

That was something I had to do in my L2 class - shove my kayak off a platform into Lake Michigan then leap into the water after it and get in. It wasn’t 10 feet high (although at the time it seemed like 100) nor was the water rough. The other kayaks gracefully sailed through the air and landed hull down, with nary a drop of water in their cockpits. My boat did a face plant.

No.1 :Don’t go out in 25 MPH winds

No.2: don’t listen to the guys that are doing “kayak pushups” over the beach if your kayak is Kevlar or fiberglass. They won’t have their kayaks as long as you have yours

No.3 My kayak is a 21" wide QCC-700 and I just get it in a foot or two of water, straddle the cockpit and plunk my butt down in the seat. If it is rough I immediately start paddling and pull my legs in one at a time as I am doing it. Once I am past past where the waves are breaking I’ll then put on my skirt

Guy

Notice on the BBB video they do a paddle forward kind of brace to lift the feet in. Forward provides more stability in skinnier kayaks. Sweep left for left foot and sweep right for right foot. If you want to do it better you have to practice.

Obviously they, Body Boat and Blade, aren’t overweight and old (read stiff).

I’m going on another river leg tomorrow, winds 15-20 gusting to 30. Yes I know about the weather.

Real kayakers do the mermaid walk. Choose a sandy spot and there is very little scratching on a composite or plastic yak Rounded sea pebbles and stones are not that big a deal, Don’t try with coral, mussels, or sharp rocks. A kayak is boat meant for rough water play, not a piece of furniture or an ornament for your roof rack.