Getting older and paddling risks

You’re one up on me. I never liked Class III rapids very much until I was through them. Then it was more like relief.

In another week I turn 61, so a relative youngster on this message board. I don’t want to come off as complaining and enjoyed reading about others and the challenges they face. I’m just trying to sort it out. My approach has been changing or evolving for a while. I originally got on pnet because I wanted to learn more about paddling in different environments, not a desire to go bigger.

Unfortunately, when I was young I played hard in the outdoors. If activities were challenging I made them more challenging- teleskiing instead of regular downhill, c1ing instead of kayaking, and backpacking instead of just hiking. I think the spelunking took its toll- should have had better knee pads. That stuff takes a toll on the body. I’m at a point in my life now where I have to modify the approach if I want to keep doing outdoor pursuits. Getting the hips replaced helped a lot. I eat a bit better now and actually do some stretching.

Gear wise- buying the extra thick paco pad, getting a tent I can stand up in or using the rv, and using trekking poles are all modifications to help me keep going. I spend the big bucks now on actual river shoes (grippy rubber) and frequently wear sunglasses on the water (all be it cheap ones).

Some things have been a little surprising in regards to boats. Going from open canoes and c1s to a kayak seemed logical and got me off my ailing knees. Snugger boats seem to put less strain on the body rather than the roomier craft I tried for a while. I wouldn’t have thought that. While it is tougher to get in and out I find a more reactive boat requires less effort to turn and actually puts less strain on the body. I do like length. I don’t know if that is a function of age or just the fact that I’ve been around a while and am used to long ww boats. My pyranha 12r, the boat I use the most, is a 12 foot long whitewater kayak a bit narrower than creek boats. I find l myself setting the recreational pakayak up for snugness. My older, less ergonomic boats, seldom get used- no longer a fan of boats without backbands or hard seat pans. I recently bought my first rec paddle (lighter and longer).

My pace on water and on land has slowed down. Some stuff I’ve already nixed- downhill skiing, spelunking, backpacking (although I might try overnighting again). I’ve never met a portage I liked. On longer trips I now plan on breaks from activity. In short, my capacity to suffer needlessly is diminishing.

I do like bouncing over rocks (small boofs and slides). I still wear holes in the hulls of my plastic ww kayaks in just a few years. Some of todays plastic is a bit soft (compared to older blow molded ww kayaks) but better to wear out the boat rather than the body.

1 Like

The bad news is that as you age the risk of serious injury or death resulting from paddling mishaps increases.

The good news is you have less to live for or look forward to anyway.

Not me!

Somebody asked in an accusatory way, "Do you think all the hiking, backpacking and bicycling had anything to do with the trouble you’re having with your knees. I looked up and laughed, then said what’s your point. You can add jumping out of trees when I was a kid. While you’re counting, you can add getting old to the list, but I never heard anybody warn me about what that can cause.

We should call this the nostalgia post. One thing I never heard anybody say is, “I probly shouldn’t of had dun all that stuff . . . Look at the mess it dun got me in!” My main regret is that I waited too long to start doing it. I just hope I can pass something of value on to my young 'uns!

5 Likes

Sad when you spent a whole career in paddlesports and now when presented with a paddle in a long term care facility, have no idea what it is.

That is what I want to avoid. One of my best friends was not so lucky… Now I have her autographed retirement paddle and no one has any use for it.

Today was not a good day. I am grateful for having a mind that can still notice even if I need help to get on the water.

6 Likes

My passions were running, then hiking, then walking. My Dad passed along his lousy back and used to say " Boy, you are going to wear yourself out ."
He was right but I haven’t regretted all those miles.

5 Likes

I hear you ‘string’. I’m 78 and have paddled since my 50th birthday. But as many others, I believe the saying, "A body in motion stays in motion. So glad to see you’re still going strong. You go man!

4 Likes

As the saying goes, “I’d rather wear out than rust out”.

I know my aches and pains are a result of a life of hard activity, and I don’t regret it. What good would a life completely free of pain and scars be without all the great memories. “Scars are tattoos with better stories.”

2 Likes

Agree. After acquiring a lifetime of experience, its reassuring to know that you can be of value by helping another along that same path.

A friend’s mother is in that condition. I spent time talking about a shared interest in tea sets. We looked at her entire collection. Then she asked if I had seen the ones in her sewing room. They were the first we had looked at. So I said, I don’t think so. Between conversations about her travels and other things she recalled, went through her tea collection several more times that day.

I guess the best we can do is share what they recall and cherish, as often as they want to share it. I appreciated her ethusiasm each time she repeated the tour.

3 Likes

Here we are, typical oldsters talking about our ailments…

There is one way that getting older reduced risks for me. I used to sign up way in advance for a week’s vacation to go on a camping trip with no way of knowing what the weather would be like. Camped in rain and occasionally had to deal with stiff winds and nasty waves that way. Now, unless it is one of those popular places where you have to reserve campsites, I can wait for a weather window to open up and jump on a couple of days notice, reserving the nasty weather for my drive north and back.

1 Like

I don’t consider paddling a risk, even though I’m 66 and coming apart at the seams.

Paddling is fun and I don’t expect to hurt myself. I raced for 12 years and know all of the ways to strain myself, I also know how to avoid most of that.

Now all I have to do is find a way to fit the hardware holding my knee together into an 18 inch wide boat.

2 Likes

Paddle smarter. 18 inch boat? I just bought a turkey that won’t fit that boat.

The hardware (full leg brace) that supports my right leg is bulky and heavy. It comes off when I paddle.

1 Like

Based on the responses to this thread I can only conclude that any risks associated with aging are more than offset by extensive paddling experience, solid self-awareness, and an open-minded willingness to adapt as necessary to keep paddling as a priority. For example earlier this year I suddenly got a BOMB (bony old man butt) so I added half a dozen more seat cushions to my already-impressive collection.

4 Likes

TomL, I must be higher on the evolutionary scale with a FOMB, but I prefer the term ECB, Extra Cushion Bottom. When I bicycled with my younger brother, he credited my speed to an evolved WMB (Water Mellon Belly), similar to the bow of an ocean going ship. According to him, drafting in my slipstream saves energy that goes toward keeping his hair dark. I pointed out streaks of gray, but he claims it was from painting his fence. Now it looks like he’s painting all the fences in the neighborhood.

Its sad to hear that Gallagher is no longer with us. My fear was attending his show and having him ask me to come up and assist in his finally.

2 Likes

As the saying goes, “If I had known I would live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.” I used to be known for doing 30+ miles for a solo day paddle. At 72 I almost always paddle with other people now who mostly paddle 10-15 miles for day paddle. I seriously doubt if I could paddle 30 miles on flat water in a day anymore. Probably 20 miles max before it became more work than fun.

1 Like

70 x 365 = 25,550

I’ve thought about that rsteven15. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have started far sooner to get it out of the way before I got creebled. I spent all this season paddling a test course to become acquainted with my current abilities and limitations. I’m ready to explore again. I might not be able to paddle stroke for stroke with what I could do at 60 yrs old, but I know I would be a hinderance. The longest trip I ever made back then was enough to make me never want to go that far ever again. 30 miles, I’d have to think about that first. Back then I didn’t worry about which way the tide was going, I’d just fight it. Think like a mule, work like a mule. The difference now is that I’d use my superior intellect to ride that tide both ways, and laugh the whole trip at how clever I am.

1 Like

Most important thing is how old do you feel most of the time? I mean discounting a few bad days in the mix.

1 Like