Getting older and paddling risks

I feel younger when I paddle, it eases my mind and lets me commune with nature.

3 Likes

Itā€™s real hard for me to paddle in a relaxed fashion. I put on map my run then I am always fighting to maintain a certain average speed. Maybe twice this year I had a paddle where I disregarded the speed call outs.

You gotta be true to yourselfā€¦ I never have used a GPS trackerā€¦ However if I am on the water without my camera I feel something is missingā€¦ We all find different delight in paddling.
Things can change. It used to be anything less than 15 miles was unsatisfyingā€¦ Now I am pleased with six.

6 Likes

I have been going shorter but seemingly more intense paces. I go hard then may stop at the beach for an hour then hit it hard again. Down to 6-12 miles now depending on the time I have.

1 Like

When I finished shoulder therapy and got back to kayaking, I was shocked and disappointed at the setback. Therapy also proved that recovery was possible, even if hard. After 20 trips last season, I was .5 mph from the old high over the same course recorded 12 years ago. The one thing that worried me was how the left shoulder felt weak after a point; maybe a nerve or overuse of the joint.

My goal was to assess my abilities and limitations, as well as find a comfortable paddle technique. So I devoted this season to paddling the same course, with different tides, wind speeds and directions; sometimes paddling straight lines and at other times allowing the wind to push me off course while I focused on speed. Sometimes I reserved energy going into the wind/tide, then powered to reach maximums while going with wind/tide. Over successive trips, I learned to anticipate the overall avg sp and manage power output to flat line through the course to get within .1 mph of my goal. Three trips were without real time GPS readout, only checking the phone app that was in sleep mode in a pelican waterproof case clipped to the seat back; yet the avg speeds were consistent with predicted average speed. Trip distances ranged between 8.43 to 8.56 miles (depending on straightness of track), were within .13 mile, so it was easy to mathematically calculate the spead to confirm GPS accuracy.

Aside from overall power output (which is still improving), the main difference between 12 years ago and today is in recovery between trips. Back then, if I went out on two consecutive days of vigorous output, my time improved. Three days in a row and Iā€™d see a drop. Optimum was two to three days between trips.

Now my optimum timing between trips (to see a consistent improvement of about .1 mph avg per trip), is about four to seven days for my shoulder to recover from stiffness and to recharge muscles. After about 10 days, Iā€™ll see regression of about .2 avg mph per trip.

Unfortunately, our problem is the loss of growth hormones, which hampers recovery. Although some issues are insurmountable, the answer is that we have to adapt. Switch to a roomier boat, change paddle technique, buy a faster boat or a more stable boat, switch as some have done from canoe to kayak, or closed cockpit to open, or kayak to canoe.

By repeating the same trip, I developed a sense of muscle memory and learned how conditions impact paddling: I know the degree of effort required to reach a specific speed; how tide influences speed by simply paddling into it and then reversing and comparing; how wind affects speed. I also compared the 240 cm and 250 cm Kaliste paddles. Although there was no noticable difference in performance, I preferred the 250 cm, because it allowed me to slightly lower my paddle angle, but mostly allowed me to spread my grip to open the rib cage and improve breathing (I made some changes after watching wing paddlers).

When pushing into wind or current pushed me into an anaerobic state, a minute of deep cleansing breaths returned breathing to aerobic range. I canā€™t seem to push to the point of getting thst lactic acid burn in my muscles (like climbing hills on a bike). That tells me I might be able to switch from a 99.7 sq in blade to 105-110 sq in blade.

So whatā€™s the bottom line. My experiment isnā€™t a magic bullet. What worked for me doesnā€™t mean it will work for anyone else, but I did learn my abilities and limitation. As I collate the information, I realize that I can do an all out training trip, then follow up over the next few days with one or two easy exploration trips. Then by the next week, Iā€™ll be ready for a training trip where I do intervals to max out my muscles. Its the best of both worlds. Hard training followed by easy shake out - speed isnt everything.

Years ago, I just went out and powered through whatever conditions I faced. In the future, Iā€™ll plan trip time and direction to take advantage of wind and tidal currents. Trips across the Bay arenā€™t typically an issue, because most of the trip traverses cross currents.

I still like going solo. I donā€™t know many local kayakers and none who will keep the pace or go the distance. My nephew is improving, but he lives an hour and a half away. Not to suggest that anyone repeat my experiment, but I hope something that helped me might give another paddler an edge.

2 Likes

Except for car topping, @ 73 yrs. I miss my Pungo 140 (2018 w/2 bulkheads) - with my current Pungo 120, paddling/fishing beyond the mouth of the Piscataqua River that used to be a frequent activity, is now a distant memory. Bill, in the photo, is my neighbor (12 years my senior) whom I helped pick out a Pungo 120 & AquaBound paddle five years ago, is my paddling buddy.

2 Likes

Transporting is tougher than paddling. Carrying the 145 Tsunami the short distance to the beach launch area is the the least favorite part. Securing it in the bed is easy. Lifting it to the ladder rack is a treat. I cut down the legs by 4 3/4 inches, which helps. If I balance the boat on my shoulder, I place the bow on the ground and walk the boat until the stern hits the cross cross brace. Then I lift the bow and slide it onto the rack. Remove it in reverse. My next move is to bring the 175 Tsunami out of retirement, which is an extra ten lbs, but its longer and easier to reach the crossbar. Adapt and overcome.

My first 14 ft boat was a 140 Pungo Duralite, and I bought a second used one for my sister. I love the boat, but it isnā€™t as suited for the high waves I encounter in open water. WS stopped producing the Duralite boats due to consistency issues, but I would never sell it. I was happy to see they started putting bulkheads in the forward section. I added bulkheads to both of mine using the aftermarket foam I got from Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis.

2 Likes

Agree kayakmedic. I mostly use kayaking as a physical activity, but am also drawn by the sights, sounds, smells and solitude of the waterways. I rarely take pictures, but the ones I do take with my phone have unique value to me.

Iā€™m hardly a skilled kayaker, but Iā€™m thorough and systematic in my approach. The bottom line of my ā€œtreatiseā€ above is that I found out I could have my cake and eat it to. Most of my trips were shear training and I had been overlooking going out for enjoyment. By reviewing and articulating my process, I learned that I have a window where a few easy paddle days in between could actually enhance training and conditioning. Sometimes we canā€™t see the forest for the trees. Last year before I reached a reasonable level of conditioning, I managed to paddle 20 miles, but it took me 7 1/2 hours. In my advanced years, Iā€™m figuring out how to do things smarter and more efficiently.

1 Like

Now help him with a comfortable PFD.

4 Likes

Agree.

I donā€™t think I can change his PFD preference. Bill only paddles calmer NH ponds, lakes, rivers. No rough conditions, nothing risky: Nashua River, Nubanusit Lake, Sunset, Horseshoe, Ottarnic, Robinson Ponds , Canobie Lake, Lake Massabesicā€¦once we paddled up the Swampscott River/ Great Bay, launching from the shore of the Greenland Discovery Center.

Itā€™ll keep his head out of water. Thats good if heā€™s comfortable with it.

Very interesting.
Always a lot more to learn (and to appreciate about padding and paddlers).

1 Like

In a few weeks Iā€™ll be 81. Iā€™ve been paddling kayaks of various stripe for the past 38 of those years but now even my little Epic GPX is more than I want to handle when it comes to schlepping it onto and off the Forester and a couple of aftermarket hips make it a challenge getting in and out of its cockpit. Iā€™ve been spending some online time searching out pack canoes but those that I find attractive like the Placid Spitfire and Swift Cruiser 12.8 are expensive. Probably wonā€™t be able to try them out before buying and canā€™t afford a costly mistake. Decisions!:blush:

4 Likes

I think thereā€™s a place that they rent Swiftā€™s.

1 Like

I just learned that a new Swift Cruiser 12.8 from Collinsville Canoe will cost about $3600 and thatā€™s for a demo. Seems a bit steep for a wee canoe. Besides Placid, Swift and Hornbeck, what other canoes and builders should I be researching? Iā€™m only interested in boats narrow enough to paddle efficiently with a maximum paddle length of 220cm.

Would a Bell Bucktail work for you (12ā€™LOA, 28ā€beam-symmetric-slight rocker, good tracking, and handles well in choppy water)? Theyā€™re out there on the used market. Northstar Canoe Co. still makes them too. They are now called the ā€˜ADKā€™ (same basic design with some improvements).

Well, take a look at:
http://adirondackcanoecompany.com/the-boats.html

When I was young I could hold me breath for 2 minutes.
Now 30 seconds is not that easy.
I have adjusted the level of difficulty accordingly.

1 Like

Rutabaga Paddlesports (Madison, WI) carries Swift and Northstar, among others, and they offer on-site test paddling ā€¦ or they will come spring. Youā€™ll likely pay full price, but I suppose thatā€™s the cost of actual service.