Getting on board!

My friend who used to work for Seda had a glider and had no issues with cockpit size or stability and he’s a pretty big guy, but he also raced slalom kayaks and is one of the best whitewater paddlers I know.

I’m not sure if it is an issue with the glider, but sometimes with very long kayaks you find problems with the hull being stressed near the cockpit due to putting the kayak on car roof tops with narrow width between the racks. In strong winds or if there is any kind of blow to the kayak, the long hull has a lot of leverage, so look inside for cracking or stress fuzz near where a roof rack would fit the boat. Also check near the tie downs for stress on the hull.

12 years ago I drove 450 miles each way from my home in Pennsylvania to the west coast of Michigan, parked my car and then walked onto a ferry and took a 2.5 hour round trip across Lake Michigan to buy an 18’ kayak from a guy in Milwaukee I met at the dock. Folks on the ferry were kidding me about carrying my own boat onto the boat (photo below of it riding across on the ferry deck). But since then I have been honestly able to state that I took my kayak across Lake Michigan!

2 Likes

OPer is 6’3" - It won’t be too loose.

Yesterday got my seda glider. I bit scratches on the bottom, i think i’ll patch hull at the stern area, it was wearing out more then others. Overall i think i got pretty good boat.
Now once excitements are over - serious question. Seating area is a bit more narrow then i need. I can get to the cockpit and get out - no problem. But for long run - would be cool to have a bit wide seat. +1’’ is more then enough. Glider has non-adjustable seat, but i think i can replace it as whole part.
I did try it in the ocean - and i really like it, i don’t want wide boat - glider is 21.5 - just need to put custom seat there.
Any advise is more then welcome.