Getting thrown off a horse--or canoe

Paddles and saddles have been a big part of my life. They have similarities in that you need to maintain situational awareness. HOrses and mules are pretty honest and will usually give some clues before a wreck. Learn to read the signs like ears pressed back, swishing tail, etc. Rapids and rough seas are the same. Learn to read the water.

Anticipate what can happen and be ready for it. Practice for what to do in case you are “unlucky.” If you paddle you are eventually going to take some swims. If you ride are going to hit the ground. It is a matter of not if but when.

2 Likes

I’ve been there!

in tripping canoes we would often attach painters for lining or wading . They weren’t a permanent fixture, just when the need arose. Overall I was more concerned about how packs were tied in and making sure any loose ropes were stowed. I always carried a knife when canoe tripping, all be it a folder, because of the entrapment issue. Lining would have been better with the rope tied closer to the water line but we managed with it tied on top of the breast plate. I also remember that a dangling painter can really mess you up when portaging.

I have had no desire to attach any painters to ww canoes.

I always carry a throw rope in the kayak. Mostly I use it to haul my boat up the bank at steep takeouts. Occasionally it gets used for a pinned boat extraction. It has been a lot of years since I actually threw a line to somebody in a real life situation but I do practice during classes.

I don’t set up safety much any more. My kahunas shrank from all the swims I took in my younger days and now you’ll find me on the portage trail. If it is big enough to scout then I usually just end up walking the drop.

What has been real useful is a loop of webbing and a carabiner (stowed under a rear airbag in the kayak). I use it like a shoulder sling to drag the boat and to pull the boat over trees and rocks but on occasion have used it as well for unpinning boats.

Overall, I think ropes can be useful but also very hazardous.

1 Like