Getting water out of the Pungo 140?

Im getting ready to go kayaking later on this evening and had some spare time so I figure I would throw my pungo in the pool to test the tip limits and see if im able to get back in if I were to fall out.

Well got in there and tipped it a few times,tried a few ways to get water out while its flipped and different ways to get back in etc.

Needless to say it got some pretty good water inside,I pulled it out of the water and got the majority out just by flipping it and rolling it back and forth but because there is a lip on the inside it holds all that water.

Im going to have to invest in a bailing sponge “do they work pretty well?” and a pump for emergencies.

But as far as what im talking about,getting water out after a cleaning or after a trip before loading etc. Between tipping it over and a sponge I could probably get it all out,But I was wondering about drilling a couple of holes in the lip that holds the water on front and back,seems like that would just let it drain All out,Is there any reason why I shouldnt drill these holes?

Just a quick question about the dry hatches,I had them all locked before I was doing all my testing in the pool so it was upside down and partially submerged at times and when I opened it up when I was done I seen some water in the front and rear. Not a lot at all but maybe a cup or so between the two hatches. Should these things be water tight and I have a problem,or are they just meant to stay dry in rain or splash and this is normal? Thanks!

You could also install a Harmony drain
plug kit. Fairly easy to do. Would be on the tip of the stern.

Bilge pumps are pretty standard gear
Get a sponge from the grout and mortar section at the H/W store.

The foam bulkhead has a small hole to equalize pressure, It’s possible while you were swamped some came in there or your hatch is leaking.

When I go camping everything that must be dry goes in a dry bag before it goes in the hatch. Normally it should be dry but in a capsize I would not be surprised to see water.

If you don’t see any downside to drilling holes in your boat then you should probably go for it and let the rest of us know how that works out.

A hand pump…
…is a very good thing to have. Harmony, NRS etc., all carry them and they’re not that expensive.

A cheap plastic cup to bail with and a sponge are also very useful.

Two Bulkheads
I am pretty sure the Pungo 140 has bow and stern bulkheads. Not sure if that has always been true but the more recent models I saw I think did.

Installing the Harmony drain plug is a good idea. You can install it behind the cockpit on the hull but way off to the side. You can then shoulder the kayak to tilt the water back to the plug. You can also just lift the bow and angle the kayak.

I just use car wash sponges with all the fringe fingers. The official kayaking sponges always seemed pricey and not all that absorbent in comparison. They did have straps and lashes but not that hard to find a place to stash a sponge.

You should have a pump but it can take a while to pump out a big cockpit like a Pungo. Usually easier to get it back to shore to dump.

on holes
With a bulkhead behind the seat, the way to drain the boat is to lift the front and rock it left right while it is upside down. This gets most out.

Some boats come with either a bulkhead that is very close to the back to the cockpit (so catching less water), or holes in the combing to allow more water to drain. If you do decide to add holes to the back of your combing, be very careful about where you put them. If you put them on the deck itself (so outside the combing), water splashing on the deck can come on them. The standard spot would be to drill holes through the combing in a spot where a skirt would cover the holes, but this being a rec boat, not clear if you would even be using a skirt.

Most people just get a sponge to get the last of the water out after flipping and lifting the bow.

Bilge pump
Will solve your problem. This one will pump your boat dry in no time. http://www.amazon.com/Beckson-Canoe-Kayak-Pump-8GPM/dp/B00MWZUK9W

hand pump
A good Harmony hand pump only costs about $20. You can clear a lot of water fast with one – plus they make a great water cannon if you are fooling around with your kids on a pond. I never paddle without one.

take my
hand pump please…take far away where I would never see the abominable V51526dxx again

Three steps
Dump what you can, pump what you can and absorb the rest with a sponge, or use what I use–a Shamwow (synthetic shammy).