Giardia

Fair enough
I didn’t read what you wrote as carefully as I should have and did mischaracterise it somewhat, for which I apologise.

All I was trying to do is make the point that Giardia is really not a serious problem if you take basic precautions. Catching it from merely rolling around in the water is highly unlikely, though obviously not impossible.

Cool, and I agree

– Last Updated: Feb-10-06 10:53 AM EST –

Though giardia is common in much of the freshwater of this country, human giardiasis is not common, even though millions of Americans enjoy watersports on lakes and rivers, and are almost assuredly swallowing some water incidental to those activities.

I contracted giardiasis in an area which does not handle its sewage properly, and probably got a fairly large dose (it gives me the willies to think what else I got exposed to) from a sewage outfall fairly close to the beach where I was swimming.

Even then, the giardiasis was more of what I would call a nuisance illness. I don't think I missed a single day of class, and lost a few pounds. Not the most pleasant weightloss program I can think of, but hardly debiliating.

I'm glad we cleared the air and I hope there are no hard feelings.

No problems here.