Gillies Sea Kayak

I am looking at a 18’ Gillies Glooscap. John Gillies made composite canoes and kayaks in Nova Scotia in the 90’s . The seller doesn’t have much info. Said it was a '93 used for two years and has been in storage every since. The rudder is unlike any I’ve seen. Lifted, it just sticks straight out the back of the boat. The whole assembly appears to be on top of a circular (maybe a pulley) base. Color of the boat is teal and yellow. Hot combo back then, not so much now.

I’ve only seen a couple of the canoes(marathon race boats) but they looked to be good quality. I’ve asked for a weight and color of the inside of the kayak. I’m sure all the deck rigging and hatch straps will need to be replaced.

Any info on this boat or the Gillies stuff in general would be appreciated. Thanks

looking for help. Our church has been gifted with a 17 foot Glooscap. Probably 1987. Any idea what we might ask on Crag’s list? Do you remember what the seller was asking for the newer 18 foot. Thanks -

Interesting that we have multiple current posts on this site on this brand of kayaks, given that I have never heard of them before. If it wasn’t for another post, I wouldn’t even know what they look like.

Fiberglass kayaks can continue to work for decades, so definitely could still be a usable kayak for someone. But designs have improved, such that this would be of limited desirability (newer kayaks likely are comfortable and perform better).

If everything works on the boat and looks decent, I would guess it would sell for $500-1000

Hi

I think they were asking $1500. A lot for a kayak that old but it was in the midst of the covid kayak craze. The seller did say he thought it was a kevlar boat.

As mentioned Gillies was a small shop and the canoes of seen of his were very nice.

That rudder design looks like a nightmare. Unlike rudders that fold forward into a cradle of sorts, that’s going to flop around more and the extra length sticking out the back will increase weathercocking. A former girlfriend had a Necky with a skeg that stuck out like that and it was a pain when carrying the boat and we were constantly bumping into it and bending it.