Gloves and water shoes

I’m getting back into canoeing as of late, and I’m wanting to get some water shoes and some gloves.

As far as shoes going, I’m looking at:

Tecnica Torrents

Salomon Tech Amphibs

I like the idea of a shoe better as once I’m on land, mostly gravel bars when I’m canoeing, it will keep most of the rocks and dirt out while drying quickly.

Gloves. I want something waterproof for the winter, but yet that won’t be unbareable in the summer.

How would some Seal Skins treat me? Anyone use these both winter and summer?

I’m looking for advice and recommendations.

Thanks!

Luke

Try 'em on and if you like the fit, …
… buy 'em. I don’t think you need to put a ton of thought into river shoes, but that’s just me. I’ll add that I used a pair of Salomon Water shoes all this year and am quite happy with them. They are among my most comfortable shoes - of any kind. I don’t know the exact shoe style though. If the shoe style you are thinking about has the pull-tab lacing that mine have, make sure you keep the free end of the loop tucked into the lacing so if you dump in moving water you don’t become a permanent fixture within the submerged portion of a fallen tree.

In the summertime, if I want to use gloves, I use full-fingered mountain-bike gloves. They’re pretty comfy, with no big seams or creases to irritate you when you grip the paddle.

Can’t comment on the other stuff you mentioned.

Sealskin Gloves
I hate the pair of Sealskin gloves I got, soggy and cold. I wear neoprene gloves when it’s cold and none when it’s warm.

Tommy

I have a pair of
Sealskin gloves and they are ok untill you get them wet. The clerk at the paddling shop told me people were disappointed with their preformance but I bought them anyway. I now wear Chota neoprene gloves.

On the water shoes
I basically gave up on finding ones that would fit right and do like you want, keep the sand and gravel out.

For the past couple of years I was using NRS Kickers, which did the job, but since I have a wide foot, I had to struggle to get them on, (kind of like trying to fit two pounds into a one pound container).

Then at the beginning of this season I was browsing through the shoe dept. at wally world and found a pair of “running shoes”, (for lack of a better word) that have fabric mesh, firm rubber bottoms and just have two velcro straps for 9 bucks.

They have been my water shoe for this whole season and work exactly as I want. They have good traction for rock hopping, keep the sand and gravel out, give good protection for underwater branches, and are as light as any thing I have ever tried on.

If you are fasion conscience(which I am not) they come in black, gray or white.

They don’t however dry out quick and they have to be left in the sun for a day to dry out, and if you carry loved ones in your car you don’t want to leave them there since they smell like a septic tank until they are dry.

They have a good solid bottom for long portaging.

Cheers,

JackL

Ive Tried several shoes
but have a fit problem in my boat. I need a bit of toe flex in order to work the sealine rudder on my boat. Most of the boat and paddle shoes I have seen or tried are too stiff and therefore unsuitable for me.

I was at Walmart getting a new pair of Dr. Sholes and saw their $5 mesh boat shoe. They work perfect and you cant beat the price.

For the cold I purchased a pair of high neoprene socks, fleece lined, which should be dry and warm enough for my climate. I picked up an oversized pair of Walmart specials that fit over the socks.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

Water shoes
I have no advice on gloves – I’ve been searching without success for the perfect pair myself.

As to water shoes my best advice is that water shoes are the PITS! I’ve tried several brands over the years and I’m done with the damn things. They’re just too much trouble to keep thoroughly clean immediately after use… Wash ‘em right away or they literally stink. I’m done with the damn things.

Instead I simply wear Crocs in warm weather or Chota mukluks in cool weather. There are “clones” of Crocs sold at Wally World, but they’re a very poor substitute – get the real deal. There are also clones of the Chota mukluks made by NRS. These are in the same price range however and appear to be just as good.

My two cents – worth every penny! Randall

I have used Sealskinz
gloves and found em ok, unless ya immerse em. then they leak. I bought some navgunner gloves from Blackhawk Industries and found em warm and waterproof for winter paddling. 30 degree or colder weather. Not sure how cold it gets where you are at. As for shoes, I have yet to find a good pair that keeps pebbles out while wading near shore.

Neoprene works great up here in
Northeastern PA. I paddle year round and never had a problem in ice cold water. NRS Reactor gloves and NRS slip-on booties.

Tried them…hate them
I used the techamphib’s this season. They were recommended to me a few folks that love them.

Problem #1: The heel and the stiff sole catch under the seat when I kneel in my canoe.

Problem #2: The narrow footprint of the sole and the higher heel threw me off balance twice on a portage. I turned my ankle and clobbered my head in the canoe I was carrying because of this.

I’ve gone back to NRS boundary shoes (similar to Chota Mukluks) and Teva neutrons for hot weather. The new Teva Gammas seem to be an improvment on the Neutrons (stiffer sole maybe?)

Seal Skin’s gloves, like their socks have very poor breathability. From the moment I put them on in cooler weather, my hands/feet get cold. The waterproofness of Seal Skins is only temporary, because of the high use of hands and feet they spring leaks quickly. This is why most reputable manufacturers have given up on making waterproof/breathable gloves. I’m going to concur with the previous poster and say go neoprene, I currently use NRS rapid gloves for Winter and Summer.

River shoes
River shoes: Nike Tokete Mid

Wouldn’t have bought them if I hadn’t caught them on sale, but they have worked well for me.

I like the fore, mid and heel straps for adjustments, and they give me some ankle support.

Keeps the gravel out well. They will stink, but don’t they all. I just rinse them out & air dry them in the shade.

When temp drops I pull on NRS Boundary Shoes(boots) & heavy wool socks; they’re basically the same design as Choata mukluks. So far they have kept the water out, as long as I keep the boot tops above water level. Keep feet fairly warm; glad I bought em.

Gloves: I have Choatas & NRS gloves, but haven’t found anything yet that “really” keep my hands warm & dry. Tempted to try the NRS Reactor or Seal Skinz.

Best bet; buy a good pair of gloves & keep your hands out of the water…easier said than done.

BOB

I use fleece lined neoprene
by Aleutian. About $20 at Sportsman’s Warehouse. They are warm when wet to about 30deg. After that, I use Nordic Blue dry gloves. Warm but stiff. For footwear, I use Chota Mukluks for really cold weather… otherwise NRS rodeo socks over fleece socks.

I love my Salomons

– Last Updated: Nov-17-05 2:44 PM EST –

In winter I wear them over sealskinz socks.

I wear Glacier Gloves in the winter, have used fingerless gloves in the summer, but now I just let nice callouses build up. (for kayaking).

Chota and Five Ten Nemo’s
If not in a dry suit then the Chota quiclace mucklucks as they form fit so it fill up with water in a capsize will not be hard to lift leg above water to climb back in or get to shore.

If in a dry suit Five Ten Nemo shoes have a special aqua stealth sole that is almost as good as felt very very sticky. The shoe is quite warm stretches to accomadate thick socks and does don fill will water either.

I use Nordic Blue dry gloves for both canoeing and kayaking check out posts here about them. Warm hands and feet make for better ability to get exercise imo

a vote for tech amphibs…
with the sole as beefy and inflexible as it is, they are a bit bulky for a kayak but would be pretty ideal for a canoe.

Teva Gamma Pros?
Anyone have any experience with this?

Campmor has them on sale for $30. Which is a lot better than $60-80 for the Tecnica/Salomon/Merrel’s that I am looking at.

But…
would you still be “naked” if you don shoes and gloves? :slight_smile:

sing

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Like JackL said, the running shoes work
great. Like them a lot better than expensive river shoes. I’m cheaper than jack. Just looked in my closet, found a couple of old pair, and use those. The old beat up New Balances seem to dry better than the Asics Tigers, tho.

NRS Rapid gloves and Teva Gamma Pro
The Rapid gloves are on sale at NRS and Amazon (which is really NRS) for $16. And the Teva Gamma Pro’s are only $30 at campmor.

I would rather have Tecnica Torrents, Salomon Tech Amphibs, or Merrell Waterpros, but for this price, I can sacrifice my desire for the ultimate shoe.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Teva Gamma Pro
I have a pair that I wear almost exclusively. I wear a pair of Reed aquatherm socks to keep the sand away from my skin and it works well. For some reason however, every one in a while they untie themselves even with double knots. Other than that they are the best system I have used yet.

Falcon