Gloves for paddling.....

Was wondering if anyone has ever used the noeprene gloves made by hodgman for paddling. If you have are they comfortable for you? Please list pros and cons if you have any.

I have used
several different brands of neoprene gloves in my quest for dry (warm) hands while paddling in cold water. In my experience, most of the neoprene gloves were quite thick and caused me to loose touch with the paddle shaft. My fingers still got cold, but probably because they were frostbitten about 40 years ago. I use pogies for my cold water paddling now but plan to try neoprene mittens next winter.

Cold weather paddling gloves
I use mountaineering gloves. They are waterproof, very warm, high gauntlet, have good dexterity and the outer shell can be removed so you can tuck the inner liner in your bag at night to allow the sweat to dry. Carry two pair.

Seee my core dump here
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=311894

You can make a couple of pairs one fo thick liners and one for use with very thin or none.

It does take a while to get used to paddling with gloves, I can barely do a sculling roll and other touch dependant techniques with them on but progress is possible. Check out the wet exit first; lots of folks use a whiffle ball or locking 'biner for a tangible marker.

I just bought a pair of Warmers…
Just bought a pair of Warmers Paddle gloves. I will let you know real soon how they work out for me.

I use
I have a pair of $9 neo gloves that I purchased at walmart. It is the only cold weather gear that I have purchased that isn’t from NRS and they work just as well. I’m very happy with the purchase I’ve used them in water below 40 degrees

Jason S.

www.spanky526.com

Aleutian gloves
I get them from Campmor. They’re great and keep you hands completely dry. With pogies they can actually be too warm if the temp is above freezing. You can put your hands if frigid water and won’t even feel the cold for a few minutes.

I carry them year round and put them on if I get blisters or other hand wounds.

Only downside is they last only a year (at the rate I use them anyway) and cost around $40.

Lyn

NRS
NRS gloves are curved so they don’t bunch up around the paddle. You can also find rubber gloves that seal around your wrist. If you’re looking for protection against blisters rather than cold go to a bike shop and get some fingerless bike gloves.

Glacier gloves
were originally developed for ice climbers, I believe, but that’s what I use in the winter. The fingers are articulated so there is better feel.

Yes they were…

– Last Updated: Apr-16-05 5:12 PM EST –

...and they suck for ice climbing. It's not just Glacier gloves, but any neoprene glove is literally a pain when you need to grab onto something firmly. Think of it as being like squeezing a rubber ball constantly. In addition, the tools squirm around in your hands due to the rubbery nature of the gloves, making accurate placement more difficult. On the plus side, they do help reduce bruised knuckles.

Ice climbing is like paddling in that everyone is in search of the ultimate gloves. ;-)

gloves
I generally do not have a problem with cold hands (within reason) so I find the Glacier gloves on the warm side. They are made of a soft material and for me they tend to wear out at the curve of the thumb and index finger. I also find them a bit slippery on the paddle shaft. This is assuming that all glacier gloves are the same.

My favorite gloves are the Aleutian. Thin and still worm. glued so very little water transfer and not slippery on the paddle. Ideal for surfing.

response to the ice climbing post
Sorry I couldn’t resist…Ice Climbing is not like paddling in the sense that I always step on myself with crampons when Ice Climbing and have never even really seen crampons on the river!

beluga pogies
I’ve started using a nylon/ fleece pogie made by Beluga. They even thought of a rubber end to wrap around the paddle… great for keeping your hands warm (not hot) and keeping the water out!!! Also, if you need to lose them you can slide & bunch them up in the middle of you paddle and they will stay there… folks at Beluga really thought of the details… I’ll never go back to anything else. Cost 40 canadian

NRS
I have the NRS pre-curved paddling gloves. They are very warm and waterproof. They are pre-curved to fit the paddle.

You, too?
Phew, I thought it was just me!

There was one kayak trip last year where I wondered if I would need crampons.

http://image02.webshots.com/2/3/59/6/122535906cpHMHF_ph.jpg

This harbor was clear when we put in, but a rising tide floated ice off the shores and an onshore wind packed it all into the harbor, creating a plug of pack ice ~100 yard deep. Just for fun, I tried paddling through it.

This was definitely one of the dumber things I’ve done in a kayak!

I get seriously cold hands
in winter. I usually use my Glaciers with a Capilene liner, which holds most of the sweat and then I toss in in the washer. I tried using my Glaciers for crosscountry skiing on a vist to my mother-in-law’s in Red River New Mexico. My hands d*mned near froze off.

One thing I learned from racing sailboats in college was to tape my bib to my booties, and now I do that with my gloves while paddling. It keeps any cold water from running off the paddle and onto my wrist btwn my glove and foul weather gear.

I use

– Last Updated: Apr-17-05 11:09 PM EST –

Hatch brand navgunner neo gloves. they seem to work well for me and my hands get cold easy.

NRS HydroSkin
I just bought some NRS HydroSkin Gloves and love them! I was out in ~39 degree water on Saturday and my hands (which get cold very easily) stayed warm. The air temp was in the 50’s, but I was dunking my hands in the cold water just to keep them cool. These gloves are thin and very flexible, and have textured grips. Here’s a link for them: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2406&deptid=942