Gmaps timeline

Hi All,

Just wondering. When I paddle in Toronto Harbour and later check the gmaps timeline it looks completely insane:

Location mode is set to high accuracy, so it’s supposed to use GPS among other things.
Anybody knows whats up with that?

Probably includes your driving!

@Andy_Szymczak said:
Probably includes your driving!

Across the harbour? :slight_smile: The only driving line there is the vertical one leading to the pin. The rest is on water.
It seems it frantically tries to find actual “places” even though it still doesn’t make sense that it finds ones that are all the way across instead of closer ones in the islands. The whole thing is rather silly. I suppose Google programmers never get out in water.

Try turning off the cellular radio (“Airplane Mode”) and only using the GPS. This will ensure that any position is obtained only from the GPS.

I’d also suggest using either Open Street Maps or Backcountry Navigator, as Google “anything” wants you to be connected at all times to be completely functional.

Thanks, I will try your suggestions. I suspect GPS will eat the battery though, so it probably won’t work very well.

Everything’s a trade off. You’ve identified some of the variables in this one. :slight_smile:

By your screen shot, you also have Bluetooth turned on. That’s a huge battery drain as well, and doesn’t serve any purpose I can think of while you’re in your kayak.

In your GPS app, tweak the settings so that you get a decent path but you don’t need it plotting a point every 5 seconds. Go for maybe 5 or 10 minutes between points, if you’re just looking to get some stats on speed, distance, and a decent representation of your route traveled.

Fully charge your phone prior to your paddle, and turn it OFF on the way there. Turn it on only to set up your route tracking, then make sure the screen is turned off and it’s tucked away. Resist the temptation to turn it on all the time to check stats, as the screen is another major source of energy consumption.

If this is the only cell phone you carry with you, decide on a “battery safety margin” (say 15%) that you will keep in reserve for emergency use. When your phone reaches this level TURN IT OFF, regardless of whether you still want to take pictures or finish a track log. While in an area having cell coverage, which undoubtedly the Toronto Harbour does, this device can save your life - but only if you have enough battery power to use it.

Alternatively, get a second dedicated GPS receiver.

Like you said, I’d rather keep it as an emergency device and I don’t really want to fiddle with it much while padding. Even in the harbour there is wind and some chop on a good day. Besides it’s hard to see the screen in the sun and with waterproof case on, so it becomes a lot more of a distraction than on land.
I usually turn the battery saver on before getting in the kayak and it’s more that enough for the length if paddles I am doing. I take it out once or twice for pictures and by the time I am ready do drive home I am still close to full charge even with bluetooth on.
You did give me an idea though. I have an old phone that has no service. Kids use it to play games sometimes. I can use it for tracking and pictures and leave the main phone alone.

Better yet, I should take an old flip phone without a sim card. In Canada (probably US too, not sure) you don’t need a sim card to call 911. These things tend to have excellent battery life.