Going from recreational to light touring

HI. I have only been kayaking for around 3 years or so. I’m looking to get away from the recreational boats and into light touring.

Right now, I mainly kayak big lakes and rivers, occasionally with some class 1 and 2 rapids. I enjoy hitting the wake the boats kick up on our local lakes.

Future goals, as my kids get older, is a boat that can do swifter rivers, longer trips, and maybe even some ocean kayaking, mainly in smaller bays and estuaries.

I’m 6’2" and around 230.

Anyway, I was looking at the Dagger Stratos 14.5L, Dagger Alchemy, and Wilderness Systems Tsunami 14 in that order. I saw in a review that the Tsunami isn’t a great boat for long term skills development, so I am leaning Stratos.

I just wanted to get some opinions from more experienced folks on that statement and which way you would go.

I prefer a boat I can test paddle, which is why I limited my choices to the above. Although a local shop has an Elie straight 140 on closeout that is tempting, but I can’t try it first.

My main wants are efficiency, tracking, and some decent storage. I currently have a Wilderness Freedom 15 and Pamlico 145T. I’m pretty comfortable in boats that have better secondary stability, so I don’t need something like my old Pungo 12, which was crazy stable but also a bit sluggish.

Thanks for any insight, max budge is around $1300.

Location?
Is it that you only have on water access with Dagger, Wilderness Systems? There’s lots of models that would fit your purposes but are those the only mfgs. that are locally available to test paddle?

If you were in the area I would put a Venture Islay 14, Jura HV or P&H Scorpio MV (maybe) onto your list, or better yet, out of the Boathouse and onto the water.

Other options exist and I’m sure models will be suggested.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

seats
I think the Alchemy or Stratos both could be decent options. The Tsunami has a high back seat, which coming from rec you may find more comfortable, but I don’t like. The high back seat also likely would limit the growth ability some, as many things (good torso rotation, rolling, etc.) are made harder with seats like that.

Taking any of these boats in Class II water does take some serious skills.

Strongly recommend you take the day long intro to sea kayak class that many outfitters offer, no mater which of these you go for.

thanks
I am in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of PA. Thanks for the suggestions, the Islay looks outstanding too.

I was initially limiting myself to what I can put on the water around here, with is WS, Perception, and Dagger.

lessons
I actually want to take some lessons, I want to get into whitewater eventually. Thanks for the seat tip.

used
http://www.google.com/#q=CRAIGSLIST+touring+kayak+1000+1500

Day trip
If you want to make a day of it let me know if you want to play on the Hudson. Have kayak(s) will paddle.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Stratos
I’m not very experienced but I have some experience with that Stratos L you’re looking at. You say you’re looking for tracking, efficiency and storage. It tracks fine with some skeg, without any you’ll be paying close attention to your strokes. Efficiency, not a fast boat but does ok at regular cruising speeds. Storage, you’ll have room for 45lbs of gear and still have an ok waterline and maneuverability. Long story short I really like it in the river and it does ok on lakes. I’m looking forward to playing in some rougher as soon as I get a chance. I like the volume, for a bigger guy it still rides high in the water and maintains it’s maneuverability. There are other models I’d choose first for lakes but this one is pretty versatile.