Going to the Yough. ............

-- Last Updated: May-23-08 8:54 AM EST --

......... might as well leave this afternoon ......... camp/canoe/fish ......... the weather says do it !! ......... the lake level says do it !! .......... my lady wants to do it !! .......... I told her it will be cold at night and early morning , I told her it's big water and she will have to paddle more than she's used to , I told her I can't promise she'll catch those big Smallies I've shown her pictures of from there , I told her 4 days in low camp is not like a motel , I told her she's got to break out some $bucks$ , I told her it involves some work packing to go - getting food organized - setting up camp - cooking - paddling for days in a row - breaking camp - unpacking back home .......... she says she's ready !! ......... the Yough., http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=H420380 ........ scale map, http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/rec/lakes/youghio_map.pdf ........... Mill Run camp has a high and low camp , 14 site on each , a boat ramp , a public restroom bldg. , a volunteer parks couple who stay on site in their camper all season ........... and some really nice Smallmouth this time of year if I can find them in their usual spots there ..

what section of the yough?
Do you have a link to Mill Run camp? If it’s located on water, I’d like to check it out.

Clarion , I go to Mill Run camp …

– Last Updated: May-23-08 11:25 AM EST –

.......... the link in my post is the Youghiogeny Resivour site and the phone number at the Corps dam , Flanigan Rd., Confluence is the one shown in the site link (814-395-3242) ...... the Corps. will answer and be able to give you info. on "pool levels" , camp site info. (there are a few other camps down at the Dam end , PA side ........ I always go Mill Run on the MD. end because it is much more remote and much , much , much , much less boat traffic ....... Mill Run volunteer couple attend site in their own mobile camper (usually retired couple) and the Mill Run phone is 301-746-5248 for contact with the volunteers (may have to try several times because they don't hang around the phone) ........ the one pdf. link on my post won't open , it is a scale map of the Res. which is good to get idea of distances ......... mill Run is a first come first serve site (no reservations) , I think the others (PA side) you can reserve .......... Mill Run is nice , has a low camp (water level) and a high camp (up the hill side a block or so) ......... low camp goes under water at 1442 pool level ......... you can see the current and forecast pool levels right on the site link , find Levels in left column menu ....... I canoe/fish , but if you like W.W. , even real big stuff , the feed to the resivour and the release at the dam end are suppose to be the real thing when water is right ......... to get to Mill Run camp you can go through Friendsville, MD. right off of the interstate , 10 more mins. and your there , Friendsville is a very pretty small little township , even has one convenience store and 2 gas stations , and a pretty old fashion Church ......... this is hill country in the mountain , temps and humidity always much lower than say Chesapeake Bay area on any given day ..

One other thing …
… oh so important , a guy down the road will bring you a load of “firewood” right to your site for a very small fee , just ask the volunteers …

Thanks!
So far I haven’t found a map showing the location of Mill Run Campground, but I’ll keep looking.

Clarion , check here …

– Last Updated: May-23-08 3:19 PM EST –

........ you see that small site map on the Yough. link in my post ?? ......... click on the RED ballon in the resivour ,,, on the southern end (bottom) is the MD part of the resivour , Mill Run is in the first large cove on the right (east) side , up from the bottom (past the fork feeders that fill the resivour)........ the camp is where Mill Run rd. meets the cove !! ......... you will have to enlarge the map and drag it with the arrows to find it ......... another way is to locate Friendsville MD. in MapQuest , make a left out of town going north towards the resivour , turn another left onto Mill Run rd. down to the camp at cove ........ MapQuest is cool because you click on Airiel veiw also !! ......... ps., you don't have to camp there to launch a boat , there is a small beach and some parking , no fee I think ..

Back from the Yough …
… sure do enjoy that place !! … arived late Fri. (10 pm) , left Mon. (6 pm.) … weekend and holiday made for a full campground , night temps. 40 and under , day temps. between 70-80 , 10-20 winds on Sat.- 5-calm on Sun.- 20-gusting to 30 on Mon. … water temps. hovering 60 , feeder creeks 40 … covered a good 24 mi. with plenty fishing and shore stops in the 3 days on water … we ate well , slept well had good camp fires , out on water morning till dark … caught some fish but no big deal yet , water still needs 2-3 more weeks to bring the big Smallmouth into the brush lines along shore , rolled 3 big Pike but no catch … and she loved every minute of it , just as savy as the best of them and paddled her butt off in those winds while I laughed myself silly , what a gal !! … and one final note , the Old Town Expedition 16’-9" (Discovery) is one hell of a boat , I’d put it up against any noe on the water , any day !!