Golden Bone fishing...

How many here do it??

I don’t use the other name… C A R P.

Can’t wait to hit em on my local lake this year on my 8wt flyrod. Last year I hooked in to some for the first time on some flys and the fight was incredible.

I want to be able to fish from a SOT but don’t have one yet. We usually position ourselves close to the area and then use a air mattress and literally get pulled all across the lake during the fight.

You might enjoy this:
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?s=b0a23e81c2b7e6979681705c437a64e3&showforum=26

Consider getting a float tube. Good cheap flotation.

yee-haaaaa
"We usually position ourselves close to the area and then use a air mattress and literally get pulled all across the lake during the fight."

That has got redneck written all over it. Sounds like a blast.

My dad fishes for carp with a fly rod. He calls it poor man’s tarpon.

• Big D

One of THE experts at carp on the fly:
http://www.trashonthefly.com/index.htm

Long-haired Dave actually makes a living off of guiding carp fly fishermen. Great guy from the emails we’ve written each other.

Hey
Thanks for those links!

My post does have redneck written all over it…but I can’t deny how fun it actually is. Thought my friend was insane for even suggesting such a activity.

I was interested to see a local lake out near our house run a weekend carp fest event. Couldn’t believe it. Tons of people and some serious anglers I might add. More serious then I thought the sport was ever capable of.

YES, the poor man’s tarpon is an accurate statement. But I always tell some fishing friends that head down to the tropics to bone fish that they’re missing out on some of the best bonefishing right in their backyard!

That’s how it works
"Thought my friend was insane for even suggesting such a activity."

The same could be said for just about all the best redneck activities. Not an accusation, just a comment. I was born and raised in a county in the Pennsylvania hills where there was a far higher white-tailed deer population than there was human. I know redneck when I see it, and that “takes one to know one” thing is entirely accurate in this case. The suits and ties haven’t entirely erased the stain on my neck. Not yet, anyway.

• Big D

Try the coffee bean fly. Take a vanilla

– Last Updated: Apr-04-07 7:58 PM EST –

coffee bean, super glue it to a fly hook, and cast it out. Good places for carp include outfalls near treatment plants. I don't drink coffee myself and wouldn't want to buy a bunch of vanilla flavored coffee beans, so guess I won't try it, but I'm told the bean fly works well.

Wow
I’ve never heard of that. Surprising they would take a coffee bean off the bottom.

I have some crawfish fly imitations that work pretty well too.

you need to visit Austin’s Town Lake,
one of the premier US carp fishing water bodies. Last year, they held a carp tourney there, the winner got several hundred thousand dollars. There are big carp in that lake. Its entire shoreline is a city park, basically, a wide spot in the Texas Colorado River.