Good fast SOT

Futura Sport

– Last Updated: Oct-04-09 1:08 PM EST –

EDIT the "Spear" is 16' not the "Sport" (which is 19' long I think).

19" wide by 16 feet long. Sold as a surf ski but really a very nice SOT that can keep-up or beat with most sea kayaks. Can be had 2-nd hand for $400 and also very lightweight for well under 40lb.

May be tricky for a novice paddler, but after a few hours, the average ambitions paddler will have good time in it. For folks uder 180lb or you get a very wet ride in oncoming chop.

Knysna
Did you see this posting on surfski.info for a 13’ Knysna surfski?

http://www.surfski.info/component/option,com_marketplace/page,show_ad/catid,9/adid,262/Itemid,107/

Whoa
That Knysna is wacky, looks very fast. How wide/stable is that thing?

To the OP, if you can deal with a SINK, there’s a West Side Delta for sale used on the p-net classifieds right now - it’s the right length and was designed as a race boat - should be fast like all Bushnell boats…

More Knysna info
I’m guessing that the Guppie is the successor to the Flash based on the dimensions given.

http://www.knysnaracingkayaks.com/surfskis-s1/guppie-ski-s1.htm

400 cm long is a bit over 13 feet.

48 cm wide is about 19 inches.

I would guess the dimensions are similar to the surfski for sale in FL.

I hate to start a new discussion
But what do you mean by fast? I’ve got a kayak that has a great top speed, but it’s hard to get it there. My wife has a 12’ SINK that’s easy to paddle up to about 4 mph when it starts getting really difficult.

I like SOT’s, but I haven’t found one in the 13’ range that I would consider “fast”. That Knysna looks really interesting though. I’d love to demo one.

The Knysna Isthmus
Is the fastest SOT I ever saw at 17’ and I think 21" it could race in the SOT class and compete with the sinks.

Doesn’t look like it’s made any longer. Probably not the best fishing SOT but the fastest…

I sold mine, but I also sold my Nordlow for the same reason… and the Nordlow was a lot more stable.

Isn’t that the Future Spear?
If I recall, it’s the Spear that’s 19"wide and 16’long but I could be mistaken. I think they do also make a “Sport” but I believe it is longer.

I think that’s a good distinction
to make, between “fast” and “quick”. Personally, for SOT’s, I don’t care so much about fast but I like quick.

Yes! The Spear - my bad

– Last Updated: Oct-04-09 1:10 PM EST –

The sport is 19' long I think, the spear is the 16' model. I had it for a few months and it was a lot of fun. Still regret selling it. Even though I was a little too big for it and it was not a particularly fast boat at only 15' or so waterline, it was a pleasure to paddle and very comfy in the seat for me...

Kayak Jeff in Dania has one in the shop

Makes a good surfski trainer…
I traded mine for a Sealution to use as a guest boat but ended up selling the Sealution… not a bad guest boat though.

An SOT that moved
Wilderness Freedom 15 ft SOT was great: fast yet stable…I frequently took mine out on the Hudson and easily kept up with longr touring kayaks. Unfortunately they aren’t produced anymore, but sometimes a used one comes up for sale. Seems like most SOT today are produced mostly for stability not speed and aimed at the beginner, fisherman, or handicapped market.

Typical “Boat Advice” Thread…
OP never gave any specifics and folks keep tossing in suggestions that likely have no relevance. Jeeze… LOL!

sing

Yes, Because
I wonder if the OP will even come back to look. If she does, he will get very little ueful info here. Its just the kind of thread that ignites an age old topic…

People “want” a 13’ pastic SOT that is as “Fast” as a 16’ fiberglas touring Sink.

I was obessed with it myself. I spent several years and a few grand on the search. I had the 16’ fiberglass Seda Revenge, the 16’ fiberglass HopOnTop Nomad, and even the 18’ Kevlar HopOnTop Shearwater.

All along I had a cheap little 13’ OK Mars with a flat bottom. The hull design is neither “fast” nor “efficeint” It is a total dog to paddle more than a few miles, BUT…

When I went to Capitola Beach, the 13’ Mars ended up on the rack because its so good at surf launch and land.

When I went to Lake Tahoe, the Mars ended up on the rack because its handier in the rock gardens, and the plastic is more durable in the rocks.

When I went to Mendocino to play in the sea caves, the Mars ended up on the rack becasues it is shorter in the caves, and the flat bottom is good for washovers. Again, plastic is more durable in the rocks.

And when I went to Twin Lakes, where I could use anything I wanted, the Mars ended up on the rack, just because its easier to get up on the rack.

I finally came to grip with reality. The boat I “needed” was in the backyard the whole time.