Good intermediate kayak for Hudson River and Jamaica Bay touring

Hi fellow kayakers, I am thinking about a used Tsunami 140, but was curious what others thought about the kayak for Jamaica Bay and Hudson River day touring. Will it be suitable for both? I will likely end up touring with others with larger boats, will it be able to keep pace? I’m still getting my wings and so don’t want a boat that is too unstable, but also don’t want to end up growing out of in a couple years. Are there some other kayaks I should keep an eye out for–perhaps a little longer or other designs? I will likely not be camping in it so bulkhead space is less of a concern, but also would like a kayak that can handle distances and some chop. I’m 5’8 / 180. Thanks for any thoughts!

look up Marshall at “the River Connection”…he posts here stilI I believe, and has a shop in your vicinity.

1 Like

Agree about the suggestion you contact Marshall at The River Connection. He often has used boats on consignment and his boathouse is on the Hudson.

1 Like

You name speed and efficiency in your parameters so a longer waterline rather than the Tsunami is going to likely be your better bet. I would recommend a P&H Scorpio over the Tsunami for the terrain and needs as well as it allowing you more potential skill development tan the extended keel and seat design of the tsunami is going to allow. Moving into composite construction more options becom available like the new P&H Volan, Cetus, Stellar Intrepid LV, S16, S18 or perhaps an older consignment NDK Explorer.

All available to test paddle on the Hudson a tad north of you.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

1 Like

Go with Marshall’s suggestion. People discount the lower Hudson River too often in assessing how much boat they will want.

1 Like

And get a personal lesson also. He taught us so much even though we’ve been paddling for years. Its hard to get a back to back comparison but I think I gain 1/2 mph with the same effort but better, I can turn my boat now way better.

1 Like

I second @Celia

I’ve paddled both the Lower Hudson/New York Harbor and Jamaica Bay. It can get rough out there very quickly. I’d want more boat than less.