Good paddling places in UT, AZ

Hi there,

I’m looking for places in UT, AZ that are good for a beginner/intermeidate level paddling. (day cruising, not whitewater kayaking.)

Do you have any recommendations? (Or, websites.)

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Have a good one.

Angeleno

Where are you in those areas.

– Last Updated: Jun-01-07 1:01 AM EST –

From Northen Utah to Southern Arizona is a huge geographic area.

I'm a native Utahn and lived in Arizona for a couple of years.

Some places to check out:

Utah:

Bear Lake, Bear River in Cache County, all of the resevoirs east of Wasatch Front Range, .... like Pineview , Wanship, East Canyon , Strawberry etc etc. the Great Salt Lake (Antelope Island). Weber River -- there is a whitewater park in Ogden area. Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam, Flaming Gorge, Green River near Moab, Lake Powell, Virgin River, parts of the Provo River. High Uinitahs lakes. Colorado River -Ruby and Horsethief Canyons --- highly recommended spot.

Arizona, Lower Colorado River between Needles and Yuma, Verde River near Camp Verde, Mormon Lake, Navajo Lake, Patagonia Lake, Parker Canyon Resevoir ==Salt River and Gila River in spots. Sea of Cortez is a short drive from Southern Arizona. Lake Mead is close too.

Lake Havasu AZ
It is very hot in AZ in the summer. AZ is a winter haven. Lake Havasu has some interesting paddling including Topock Gorge. There are a lot of boat in campsites as well as a couple of state parks.

Then there is Lake Mohave. It has a federal campground, Katherine’s Landing near Bullhead City and another one at Cottonwood Cove on the Nevada side. Bullhead gets a lot of wind.

Lake Mead has a couple of spots on the AZ side. Temple Bar has a nice federal campground and there are plenty of spots for boat in camping.

Lake Powell is on the Utah/AZ border and there is access to Waweap Bay out of Blaine AZ. The water on Powell is down and access to the rest of the lake is not very good.

We were up at Flaming Gorge in Utah and it is a spectacular place to paddle. Good campgrounds but be stocked up before you go. The nearest shopping is 70 miles away in Rock Springs Wyoming. You can pick up some small items locally $$.

You did not say how you would be traveling so I dont know if you are camping or need lodging. Alittle more info would be helpful.