Good PFD for women?

My PFD is fine if I keep dry, but it’s terrible about riding up when I’m in the water. Doesn’t matter how much I tighten it - it still slips upward quite a bit. I’d like to hear from some women about your suggestions for PFD’s that won’t ride up.

Astral Wonderjacket
I had a hard time getting PFDs to stay put without being way too tight. I’ve used this PFD all season and I love it! I can breathe! Good freedom of movement, not in my face, very adjustable. The front zip allows for ventilation and it has inner straps and ‘quick snaps’ to keep it tight when you have the zipper open. very nice fit for us big mamas. :slight_smile:

THERE ARE SEVERAL
I USE THE STOHLQUIST BETSEA, MADE FOR WOMEN TO FIT IN THE RIGHT PLACES. BUT AS MENTIONED, SOMETIMES I HAVE TO HAVE IT VERY TIGHT AROUND THE WAIST TO KEEP IT IN PLACE IN THE WATER.

I’m not female,
but I do teach, and have found the Lotus Designs Lola to work well for everyone who’s tried it–including many men. My wife tried 6 ot 7 different designs, and settled on the Lola.

Sanjay

I have a Lotus Lola which worked fine,
until I tried the Astral Wonderjacket. Now I always wear the wonderjacket. The Lola is comfortable, but the Astral allows complete freedom of movement. I haven’t met a woman paddler who tried the wonderjacket, and didn’t buy it, or at least start saving for one:)In addition to fit, it has some other very nice features. It has a place for a hydration pack, it can be used with snaps closed but with the zipper undone for ventilation, and there are fleece lined pockets!

SOSpenders
I have been looking for a good PFD for my 18 year old grand daughter who has not been comfortable in the ones we have used so far. The ones that LOOK like they’d be comfortable for anyone are the SOSpenders. Anyone tried these?

Kent

Lotus "Lola"
fits comfortably for me. Perhaps I should look into the “wonderjacket” though. I am always open to new ideas about gear that fits great!

My Girlfriend
Is very tall, thin, and not very chesty (I guess I better not share measurements).

She tried many different vests out and settled on the Lotus Designs Lolita. She didn’t like the Lola because of its bulk versus the Lolita (I think!)

She really really liked the Astral Designs, but the Lolita was less than half as much money (it was on sale).

Good Luck!

LK

Astral Wondervest
is also a nice alternative (pull-over as opposed to zip-up, for the WW folks) to the previously mentioned Wonderjacket.

But I’m not a woman, so take that suggestion with a grain of pepper.

I used a sterns when I was in fla
and it was excellent during the hot muggy summer!

Front zip works best for me.
Don’t like to pull stuff over my head 'cause I wear a hat. Also, front zip allows me to unzip a few inches for ventilation. I like the Astral because it has inner straps which can be adjusted to keep the jacket in place without being crushed by the flotation.

Not Happy With
I purchased an Astral Wondervest, primarily for white water. Initially I was happy with it, but as I used it, I found that in trying to make it comfortable for a woman’s chest, it placed too much padding around the middle of the torso. So, it feels and looks bulky.

Plus, after taking a swift water rescue class with it on, I found that the placement of the flotation was not ideal for swimming over strainers. Also, it didn’t give me as much flotation as other vests of similar size and type. I also found that the front pocket vecro came open easily during that class. A friend gave me a MTI Nami vest which I really liked and continue to wear. Excellent flotation for a vest of its type and very comfortable Another vest that is good is the Kokatat MSFit.

REI Sale
REI.com has the Wondervest on sale but only in Large and X-Large currently. Bob

Good price for MsFit?
I tried the MsFit and found that reasonably comfortable too. Looking for the best price one can find for that vest.

Kokotat MS-Fit
Really is comfy - know of some guys who even prefer it. But great fit for women.

Celia