Good PLB article

For surfskis, but also relevant to other human powered watercraft.
https://www.surfski.info/latest-news/story/1608/personal-locator-beacons-and-surfski-paddlers.html

Quite aside from the issues with holding the PLB up while holding onto the ski, if you’re swimming in cold water, you’ll be dead before the two hours are up.

If you’re dead or even unconscious after two hours, you’ve definitely not dressed properly for the conditions.

The “Safety in General” section contains a lot more that’s useful than the rest of this article. Most of it implies that PLBs aren’t a very effective means of signalling help for surf ski paddlers. Yet it goes on to recommend them for sea kayakers. Huh? I’ve never paddled a surf ski before, but fail to see what difference there would be when either paddler is in the water unable to get back aboard. That is one of the few scenarios where I can see activating my own PLB on the water. I’m also fairly certain I could last over two hours waiting for help if it came to that.

I think what this brings to light is that you need to be very familiar with any equipment that you use - its limitations, flaws, and quirks. You should be well educated and practiced long before you need to use it for an emergency.

Well, at least there’s no warning on my Ocean Signal PLB stating: “In strong winds, turn the unit so the indicator light faces into the wind.” What’s with that?

I carry mine in the pocket of my PFD but have never practiced pulling out the antenna while in the water and playing “let’s pretend.” Guess I should add that to my to-do list next spring.

This reminds me of the radio doctor that used to say that carrots cause cancer because 80% of people with cancer once ate carrots.

Owning both kayaks and skis, I’m curious why the author says that PLBs are practical for sea kayaks but not skis.
Also, I disagree with the author’s blanket premise that skis are used in conditions that kayaks aren’t. In this article, the person couldn’t remount a ski, in conditions.

Regarding PLBs and kayaks versus skis, most sea kayaks have additional safety features such as perimeter lines and toggles (which most skis don’t have), to help stay in contact with the kayak, but I can hold onto my ski footrest or put my body over the hull (as I would also a kayak). I don’t see why the author considers this apples and oranges.

Regarding Rookie’s comment, the McMurdo manual states: “In strong winds, turn the unit so the indicator light faces into the wind”. I’m just guessing this has to do with the antenna staying more upright on this particular model so it does’t fold/collapse in winds!? I’m guessing this is specific to this model, but that said, I had never thought of the effect of extremely high winds , regarding the flexible antenna on my ACR and Ocean Signal PLBs staying upright (to transmit effectively).

Greg

Maybe it’s not such a great article after all, but maybe as stated, it shows a PLB isn’t a silver bullet, or as foolproof as we’d like to think. That being in the water might diminish the signal strength is a really good thing to be aware of.
Better to be on shore wishing you were paddling, then to be on the water wishing you were on shore. I still think good planning and good judgment are the best safety factors. Everything else is just a back up.

Greg, would you ever use a tether on your sea kayak, maybe during big crossings? Something like clip your tow belt to the deck rigging, so if you ever swam the boat wouldn’t blow away?

@Johnnysmoke said:
Maybe it’s not such a great article after all, but maybe as stated, it shows a PLB isn’t a silver bullet, or as foolproof as we’d like to think. That being in the water might diminish the signal strength is a really good thing to be aware of.
Better to be on shore wishing you were paddling, then to be on the water wishing you were on shore. I still think good planning and good judgment are the best safety factors. Everything else is just a back up.

Greg, would you ever use a tether on your sea kayak, maybe during big crossings? Something like clip your tow belt to the deck rigging, so if you ever swam the boat wouldn’t blow away?

I would change one thing you said “Everything else is just a back up.” I would say “Everything else is just a possible back up.”

Love the bold statement too.!