Good recent article on understanding navigation channel markings

Link to this was posted on one of my FB open water paddling groups – it has the best explanation I’ve seen of how to read the red-green channel markings and how mistakes can be dangerous if you don’t assess the entire situation and understand how these work.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing

I’ve always been able to remember red right return, but in some cases its not obvious which way is “returning” An example is Hangdog Channel between two inlets on Georgian Bay. Also channels are marked for boats with deep drafts so you can cheat a lot in a kayak if you are careful.

Yes, the article discusses that and how important it is to determine what the orientation of the channel actually is by being aware of the geography and water flow and your relative position in respect to them. The example that they start out with illustrates how just looking at lights themselves can put you in danger.

There is a place like that in St Thomas (Secret Harbor?) where the boats all run on to a reef because they see the lights.

This is maybe the most useful bit: “All paddlers should review a nautical chart of the area when planning a trip. ATONs displayed and labeled on nautical charts can help paddlers locate their position when out on the water. They also display the various channels that will be encountered on a voyage. Some areas have multiple channels, intersections and even parallel channels…”

Looking at a chart answers all your questions even in confusing areas. I don’t recall if mentioned but buoys are numbered increasing from sea. So you just need another buoy to tell which side you should be on.

Yup, it covers the sequential buoy numbering.

I think I have heard about that reef – I learned about navigation channels and lights 20 years ago from my first sea kayaking mentor, a licensed maritime pilot and yacht captain who had been director of a Virgin Islands offshore sailing school back in the 1980s. I’m pretty sure that was the one he used as an example, since he knew I had been to St. Thomas several times and was familiar with the harbors, having taken day sails and dive boats out them.

1 Like