good starting kayak?

wooden kayak
well, i thought about it and have decided that i need to find a decent kayak to get into shape this summer, and this summer my dad and i are going to clear out the garage. then this winter i plan to buy this kit http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/Tern.asp

practically anyone can build it, but it will be even easier for me because i have experience. i built a mahogany mantle clock that won a ribbon at the state fair, and designed and built my own table for use with a tv, and any accessories on a lower deck. i have all the necessary equipment for building it.

But for now i am still looking to find a good boat for the summer, and once i build a wooden kayak it will become a guest boat. so with this thought should i go for the inflatable for the summer, or do i really need a hardshell kayak so i can learn before i paddle the wooden one?

if i can i still would like to keep it under 600$

and i think i will stay away from a whitewater kayak because i do not want to put a friend with little or no experience in one of them. it would probably turn them away from kayaking. my dimensions of my body are in previous posts if that helps.

Used is your best bet

– Last Updated: May-17-08 11:37 AM EST –

Get something used off Craigslist.org at a decent price. Learn to paddle, figure out what you want after a few months, then save-up during the winter, sell the boat in the spring for what you paid +/- a few $ and get the right boat for your next level.

For about $500 you should be able to get a decent starter used 12-15 foot plastic kayak and a basic paddle and PFD that would actually be fun and educational to paddle for a year.

I bought the Tsunami 145 for me (fit issues with my large feet prevent me from getting most other boats that are not too expensive or too big or too bath-tub-like). I already find it is very slow. But other than that it has a lot of what much more expensive boats have: braces, low rear deck (for rolling), dual bulkheads, decent size kockpit for a tall person to get in and out with ease, dry storage (mine does not leak anywhere). It allows you to learn to edge it, to roll it (not the easiest, but not hard it seems either - I'm still learning and am almost there), it does very well in rough water. The only real drawback I find is that it is slow (max 4.5 mph cruising speed over 2 hour paddle with quite a bit of effor on my part today and I worked may be 2x as hard as another guy in a slimmer kayak). It can go up to 5-6 mph in bursts but does not have almost any "glide". Being slow is not a bad thing for fitness purposes though... I plan to change the back support as it is too stiff and high for lay-back rolling and use the kayak to learn all basic skills before I decide on my next boat. I keep finding things that I would like or not like that no message board can tell me, because these are personal to my fit and needs and my technique improves.

If you have "normal" size feet (under size 13 or so at your height) you have a huge selection of boats that are much faster than mine and have most of the other "good" attributes.

I’ve never had a problem starting my yak

Like the Kit Boat
I think bulding the kit boat is a great idea! If I recall you are a tall guy. You may prefer the high volume version of that boat. They mentioned that it is better for those with larger feet.

You should be able to find a decent used sea kayak within your price range. You should see if you can find something of 16 ft or better, plastic or composite.

Have you looked at the paddling.net classifieds? I’ve sold two seakayaks using this method.

Good Luck

kayak kit
i do not think i will need the high volume model because i only have size 11 feet. and at the most i weigh 180lbs, but once i get kayaking that will change. my options have been somewhat limited in looking at craigslist and the pnet classifieds because for shipping a hardshell it would usually not be worth the savings of buying used. compared to a new kayak with free shipping.

opinions on a few more options

– Last Updated: May-18-08 12:35 PM EST –

i found a few more kayaks to ask about.

the Dagger Blackwater:
http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=33&PDID=1&SKU=BRE_DRB05

and the Necky Manitou Sport:
http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=33&PDID=1&SKU=BRE_NYMSP

Emotion Glide:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0056178019948a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_RESULTS_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&No=18&Ne=2510&Ntt=kayak&noImage=0&QueryText=kayak&Ntk=Products&Ntx=matchall&trueNum=110&N=3308

i would like some of your opinions on these 3.

The Arctic Tern is a great boat.
My friend, with help , built one in 7 days.

arctic tern 17’ or 14’
i was thinking about getting the 17’ model, but now i am not so sure. the only reason against it is if i went on the calm river within walking distance from my house. although, in a year or so i will be moving out of my parents place and the river will no longer be a factor. but i think the 17’ arctic tern may work for the river because my sister and her boyfriend paddled my dads 17’ alumicraft canoe all day at least 10 miles, although that was with the current. if i turn around it would probably only be to go back home, so if i need to i could probably just pull up to shore and pick it up and turn it around.

if i were ever to want the 14’ model would it fit me? it says it is for feet no bigger than size 11, and i wear size 11 and occasionally 10.5. would that be cutting it uncomfortably close?

The best thing to do is call Pygmy.
they will give you the best advice about theitr boats.

a boat for slow wide shallow rivers?
i am now looking for a boat to use in the slow, shallow, and wide river by my house. it is no more than a little over 2’ deep at the most. it is so slow that my sister could paddle a 17’ alumicraft canoe alone against the current. it does not have really sharp turns or narrow spots, and has NO rocks in it. if it can handle a small lake that would be nice, but is not a necessity. i will stick to the nearby river this summer, and over the winter i will build a pygmy arctic tern for use on lakes. remember that i am 6’ tall with a 6’ arm span. i have size 11 feet and weigh 175-180lbs. my torso is 28" when measured from the floor to shoulders while seated. with legs stretched out while seated from my back to my toes is 48". i would like to keep the cost down, but i still would like a quality product. i have looked at old WW kayaks, and found a 10’ perception pirouette for sale for 450 with paddle, helmet, pfd, and floatation bags. the only problem is that i do not know if it will float with me in it. other old WW kayaks i was able to find specs for had too low of a weight limit to hold me. thanks for any help given.

picture of river
here is a picture of the river i will be paddling. for more pics just google image search Rum River. i found a few pictures of it with rocks, or fast currents, but the rocks are not rapids and are way too far north of me to see while paddling from near my house, and the fast water is 20 miles or more downriver from me around where it meets the missisippi. here is the link. http://www.twilightspirit.com/images/lgimages/beautifulwakanriver.jpg

Look at the Heritage Site
http://www.heritagekayaks.com/

Weight/Pirouette
Assuming it’s the regular Pirouette, not the Pirouette S, it floats people of your weight fine for the use you plan. The weight bit gets more critical in moving water, but actually I think you’d be fine there too. My husband had one until it became useful in a swap of WW boats to get to an Inazone, and would get another one in a heartbeat if it came up cheap. They are great boats.

He’s pretty much your size - 6’1", 11.5 feet and 180 pounds.

The price seemed a little high to me until I checked back and saw what else comes with it. If it all fits you right perhaps OK, but you should find out the seller’s size to confirm that you can get the skirt up around your hips (good chance it’s all neo) and the paddle is within a useable length. Or jump on it just to get you on the water. A Pirouette in decent shape is a boat that you can always resell.

About that skirt - if it is a proper WW skirt you aren’t going to be able to get out of it in a panic. You will have to exit correctly and calmly, pulling the skirt first. So do NOT try it alone the first time or so - make sure you have a spotter standing there.

tipping
i would not me to worried about tipping because the river is only 2 feet deep at the most. i could touch the bottom and use my hands to tip me over. also, i think i will stay away from that kayak i found on craigslist. i want to find my own paddle and pfd, and i can probably afford better than that.

2 feet of water

– Last Updated: May-20-08 10:42 AM EST –

It isn't about the depth, but being under a boat. Until you do it a few times, you have no way of knowing if it's no big deal or you are one of the ones for whom it produces instant panic.

i think i have a plan

– Last Updated: May-20-08 10:37 AM EST –

i think i will go with the perception acadia 11.5 for this summer, and river paddling. then this winter i will construct a pigmy arctic tern in my garage as my touring kayak for lakes, and possibly some larger rivers. the acadia is a good price on the site string posted, and shipping is decent there. now i just need to decide on a paddle and pfd. also i am still waiting for replies to the applications i turned in at various places. the local hardware store will start looking thorugh applications later this week. i should stand out with my resume i attached and my national automotive technician education foundation certified year long automotive class and knowledge of tools.i also have gone to automotive competions for automotive related skills. i was in a group of 6 selected from 12. also i know someone who works there that can put in a word for me. wish me luck

Price range has risen
after reading a forum about kayak building i have decided to not buy a cheap kayak for now, and then a kit. i read about the extra cost of all the equipment, and that you need a respirator when working with all that epoxy, and that it still wont protect you enough. also, they say to build it in a place with good ventilation, and my garage in winter is not one. it just will not work out.

So i have decided to increase my limit to $1000. once i get a job i will have plenty of time to get a car because i dont really need one until mid november when biking gets rather uncomfortable. Also, there are guys i know buying snowmobiles, dirtbikes, and ATVs that cost more than even some of the best kayaks. So i would like some more reccomendations, and if you can give a link to a trustworthy dealer that sells it that would be great.

That’s one long thread…
Have you gone paddling by now? If you have not, please do - you will be able to answer many of your own questions and figure out what you want much better. Test the advice given here, test your own theories.

I whish I rented several different kayaks before I bought - I would have made a different choice than I did. On the other hand, I do not regret buying quickly, as it allowed me to get on the water fast and experiment - I can take my time thinking about my next boat while paddling the current boat.

The best thing when on a budget is to buy used. With your “normal” dimensions you should have a great selection. I would have bought used but after sitting in may be 20 kayaks only one fit and it was new in the store. So I gave-up and bought it… You don’t have to do this - try a few boats and get one that fits you nice. Paddle it for a season or two and then you will either figure out what other boat you want or you will no longer care -:wink: In either case, you can sell for not much less than you spent on it if you kept it well, so not much will be lost in terms of $$$.

ALternatively, some paddling schools provide unlimited practice and provide all equipment with a lesson package deal. For instance, for about $500 where I am I can take a very good series of classes over 1 or 2 years, all equipment provided, unlimited practice nights, etc. This way one gets very good instruction, paddles decent equipment that costs thousands otherwise, meets people… I whish I had the time to conform to such a schedule - I would have done that. IMO well worth the initial investment if you are going to be in this sport for a while…

paddling demo
this saturday i am going to an REI paddling demo day. The problem with finding a used kayak is that there are not alot of lower priced local ones, and the ones that are are usually unknown boats. one guy was selling a touring kayak and said that he lifted it and he thinks it is about 15 pounds! Where can i find decent kayaks used? craigslist has been unproductive, and there it little to look at in the classifieds here. I want to avoid buying a used kayak i cannot actually go and check out because i want to make sure there are not any holes, or fractures in the hull, and also alot of them have no info, or even a name.

Craigslist search hint

– Last Updated: May-23-08 9:01 AM EST –

Craigslist can be tricky to search since it goes by area or city. I've had better results by going to google and doing the following search (without the quotes): "kayak site:craigslist.org"

This lists all craigs list sities in the results, this way you can see more. And perhaps travel a bit to a good boat after talking with the owner.

You are right - do not buy used without a good look and even a test paddle.

As for REI demo, I wen to one last weekend. You will get wet as the boats are half-filled with water from other paddlers! You also get a chance to try different paddle models and manufacturers - just make sure you try some of the 220cm versions. Most sales folks at REI would recommend you a longer than needed paddle.

It is fun and they had may be 20 boats to try. They unfortunately do not carry anything fancy, but you will get an idea of most of what they carry and they have some good stuff. Do try the new Zephyr 16 if you get a chance - a little tippy but I think a very fun boat. Also sit in the Tempest and the Tsunami models. On my demo they had a Perception Carolina (I think) and a Necky Loksha IV, which were not bad and an alternative to the Wilderness Systems boats that dominated the water at this demo. There were a ton of shorter recreational boats as well as sit on tops as well.