Good Touring kayak

Would love to have you paddle ours
If you get near Michigan or one of our demo centers please try one of our hand crafted Peregrines. Might be a good choice for the waters you describe.

Salt Lake City is no place to buy

– Last Updated: Jul-12-11 8:55 AM EST –

a seakayak. It's a freaking desert. Best to buy used when you are near a coast. There are of course some dealers and some boats to be had in Utah, but very poor selection, and very little local knowledge of boats. Locals are much better at white water kayaks, but not really a good place to buy a whitewater boat either.

I'm a native Utahn and visit often.

Any little plastic tub will work well for lilly dipping on the resevoirs near Salt Lake. While you are there check out Bear Lake, East shore. Great Salt Lake too, go early morning in the summer near Antetlope Island.

fireguy, come back!
and ask some follow-up questions having now read some material on kayak selection and read some posts from the group. You got everybody worked up – you can’t just dissappear!

Not going to find it in Utah
I have been looking at the 2k boat in Utah and you won’t find it there or at least i have not. I have seen a $1000 plastic boat. I have seen a Seda Glider which would be a great boat but was a bit specialized for me. I have been searching for 2 months but that is all I have found. I eventually found one in San Diego that met my needs.

maybe the Mormons got him,
Yeah, looks like Fireguy went up in smoke. Since he stated he was going to be traveling a lot I was gonna do my usual pitch for folders as an option.

Fireguy, if you ever come back, check out the Feathercraft Kahuna and K-1 ($4,000 plus new but often around $2,000 used – there’s one on Ebay this week) and the Pakboat XT15, currently on sale a number of places for around $1,500. They are light (under 40 lbs for the Kahuna and XT, around 50 for the K-1)) seaworthy, stable but rollable touring boats that can be broken down into a duffel bag and checked as baggage on a plane. Perfect for your situation.